Mundine: No Geale Trilogy After I Beat Shane Mosley
By Laine Clark
THERE may be some unfinished business but Anthony Mundine says he will knock back a re-match with Daniel Geale if triumphant against American legend Shane Mosley next month.
Mundine has predicted big name opponents to come calling if he stops 42-year-old former five-time world champion Mosley in Sydney on October 23.
However, he reckons Geale should not bother picking up the phone.
Mundine believes Geale will be tempted to organise a third bout after losing his IBF middleweight belt to England's Darren Barker by a split decision on American debut last month.
It was only Geale's second professional loss - his first was against Mundine in 2009 before avenging the defeat with a unanimous points win over "The Man" in January.
Mundine admits he was not "up" for their much anticipated second fight but has no urge to make amends in a third if he overcomes Mosley in their light middleweight clash.
"Fate works in a funny way," Mundine told AAP on Saturday.
"He (Geale) goes to America, gets beat and loses his title.
"And I know if I win (against Mosley) they (Geale's camp) will want to fight me.
"But that ain't going to happen anymore.
"I am focused on the best of the era, probably the best ever.
"I don't want to look past Mosley but there are other names down the line like (Miguel) Cotto, (Saul) Alvarez and of course the very best (Floyd) Mayweather - names I know I can fight."
Mundine has been criticised for taking on Mosley who retired in June 2012, only to return to the ring with mixed results.
The man dubbed "Sugar Shane" still boasts a remarkable record of 47 wins from 56 fights including two against the great Oscar De La Hoya.
Mundine stood by his call that he would retire if he could not defeat Mosley.
"This is the be all and end all to be honest," he said.
"I want to fight the very best in Floyd Mayweather but I have to take this opportunity.
"This is an apprenticeship to show that I belong to that class."
Mundine is training on the Sunshine Coast in the lead-up to his crunch fight in a bid to regain the "eye of the tiger" - a quality he admits he lacked in the last Geale showdown.
Mundine admitted he may have been distracted by the pre-fight controversy created by his comments that questioned Geale's Aboriginality.
"Even though I thought I was competitive and I might have nudged it I didn't do enough to take it away from a champion," he said.
"But I didn't have the eye of the tiger that night. I don't know why. I can't explain it.
"I think the pre-fight buildup may have distracted me.
"But I don't have to sell this fight - it is Sugar Shane, he's a legend."
Gotta get past my boy Mosley First... Considering Moselys age, I still think Mosley can KO MundineComment by aussie-brawler on 09-29-2013
All australian ppv's are on wednesday night, because theres no other event conflicting with it and taking away viewers, hence most likely to have the most people possible watching.Comment by BattleAxePurist on 09-29-2013
Mundine lost the first fight got saved by the judges got handily beaten the 2nd time around now decides no point in losing yet again claiming he's the one who doesn't need it And btw Geale/Mundine II was on a…Comment by ladiesman217 on 09-29-2013
Why is this on a Wednesday? Are the "big" fights in Australia always on Wednesdays? I remember when Roy Jones went down there to fight Danny Green, it was a Wednesday.Comment by TyrantT316 on 09-27-2013
Mundine will think he's some God if he beats Shane. I am pulling for Shane to win, but unfortunately that might encourage him to "make one last major run"..since he's already lost to Cotto, Canelo and Mayweather, that last run…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (12)