By Adrian Warren
A candid Anthony Mundine admits he got his tactics wrong in his devastating loss to Joshua Clottey, and he's suggested the damaging result won't end his boxing career.
Mundine was knocked down five times on the way tolosing a unanimous 12-round points decision to former IBF welterweight world champion Clottey at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre on Wednesday night.
No.3 ranked Mundine lost his WBA International super welterweight title and the convincing nature of the defeat inevitably raised questions about whether the 38-year-old would retire.
A defiant Mundine said he still had plenty of options and declared: "I know I'm not done."
Even if the dream of a fight with Floyd Mayweather may remain only that after the defeat, Mundine still has some potential big money domestic fights that could be made.
Rematches with Danny Green, Daniel Geale and Sam Soliman, who he has fought once, twice and three times respectively could be among the options.
"I don't know what I want to do, I'll talk and sit with the team," Mundine told AAP.
"I'm upset and it's an emotional time, so I don't want to make any rash decisions or say anything.
"I just want to get some rest and see what's next."
Mundine conceded he should have used his jab more, rather than engaging Clottey inside, where the African fighter dominated and tagged him with numerous left hooks.
"Joshua came and saw me in the dressing sheds after and said when I was jabbing I had him so frustrated but when I wasn't jabbing he was able to get inside and fire away," Mundine said.
"I wish I did jab more. That's the best punch in boxing and that was working for me, setting everything up."
"I probably did fight the wrong fight looking at it.
"I want to watch the tape and see where I got caught, how I got caught and how I could have been better defensively."
Mundine's courage in repeatedly climbing off the canvas would have won him more fans and perhaps even earned him credit and admiration from some of his critics.
"Anybody who has ever bagged Anthony Mundine should eat their words, because he showed so much heart and valour it was incredible," said ringside commentator and former IBF junior lightweight world champion Barry Michael.
"Maybe Choc will decide to give it away, he's had a great career. But knowing Choc' I don't think he will."
Clottey suggested Mundine had been weakened by fighting at super welterweight rather than his original division of super middleweight, but the Australian denied that was the case.
"I felt fine but I got beat by a better guy," Mundine said.