By Melissa Woods
Anthony Mundine is down to the final two fighters in a bid to line up against boxing royalty in Julio Cesar Chavez Jnr.
Mundine said it's between him and British and Commonwealth champion Martin Murray for a June 16 bout with Chavez, whose legendary namesake father is considered the greatest Mexican fighter.
The Australian, who is the mandatory challenger for the WBA light middleweight belt held by Austin Trout, is set to forgo that fight and move up a division for a crack at WBA middleweight champion Chavez, whose record is 45-0.
He signed a deal with American manager Cameron Dunkin, who has until later this month to secure a fight.
"It's really up to the Chavez people about who's going to get the nod," Mundine said.
"I've been a little bit frustrated not knowing but I'm just hoping I get a shot."
He said if he didn't get Chavez he hoped to get on the same card to showcase his talents to the American boxing public.
The 36-year-old, who is 10 years older than Chavez, admits the Mexican is a special fighter.
"He's unbelievable, he's grown in leaps and bounds in the last two years," he said.
"I think he's the best young champion that's out there today so it will be a big, big test for him.
"But it will be a big test for him too.
"I have to skills and experience; every tool I need to give him big trouble and beat him."
Mundine has only had one fight in North America, against Kevin Pompey in Montreal in 2001.
If the Chavez bout falls through Mundine said he would consider Trout, who pounded another Australian Frank LoPorto last November.
A rematch with Australia's IBF world middleweight champion Daniel Geale is also a possibility.
Mundine is the only blemish on Geale's 27-fight record, winning with a controversial points decision in 2009.
Earlier this month, Geale said he would take pleasure in "shutting the mouth of Anthony Mundine for good".