Mundine Doesn't Blame Mosley, Heading To Los Angeles
A devastated Anthony Mundine hopes his aborted fight with Shane Mosley can be resurrected, and plans to fly with his manager Khoder Nasser to Los Angeles this week to try to make the contest happen in December.
Mosley jetted back to the US on Tuesday morning after promoter Vlad Warton, who'd put the fight together, failed to pay the former three-time world champion an upfront fee of $700,000 as stipulated in his $1 million contract.
Mundine said he fell into a temporary state of depression when he was told the fight was off having made weight for the WBA light-middleweight contest just hours before the official weigh-in which had been scheduled for 1pm on Tuesday.
It was the first time in his 45-fight career that one of his contests had not been promoted by Nasser and hoped the fight could take place in Sydney before Christmas.
"We will do all we can to try and bring this promotion back to life in our hands ... and we're already in talks with Golden Boy Promotions," Nasser said.
"Anthony is devastated and has waited all his career to fight someone who of this stature and someone who has been in the mix with the best fighters over the last five years.
"All I can say is that the fight came about because Vlad Warton was able to deliver Shane Mosley and that was too good an offer to ignore.
"We thought this man could deliver but, at the last minute, it hasn't happened."
Mundine said he'd spent three months preparing for the fight and was bitterly disappointed.
"Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be, maybe it's a blessing in disguise and maybe we can salvage the event," Mundine said.
"We've always run our promotions; I've had 45 fights and never had a problem. I just want to make it clear, it was nothing to do with us.
"I am just a fighter and I want to take it into my hands and make it happen."
Mundine refused to put the boot into Warton, who was Kostya Tszyu's former promoter, and didn't blame Mosley for walking away.
"Vlad saw an opportunity and he put it together," he said.
"He's been cool with me. I didn't find out until the 11th hour last night ... and I didn't know if it was on or off until I heard he was on the plane. I am devastated.
"I lay no blame on Mosley. He is just a fighter himself and he just wants to make sure he gets paid."
Im not supriced. I was stunded when I heard Mosley was getting a Million for this fight. Who would want to go and see it? Both are way past it.Comment by MDPopescu on 10-23-2013
... Or Mosley might fight Victor Ortiz as undercard of Broner-Maidana... As rumors say...Comment by MDPopescu on 10-23-2013
They simply weren't able to sell the fight to the public... Maybe Schaefer didn't want Mosley into a desert arena...Comment by Evol on 10-23-2013
[QUOTE=#1Assassin;13867151]how the hell is he a diva? all he wants is to get paid what was promised to him for doing a job, the check didnt come so he didnt do the job. if that makes him a diva we…Comment by MDPopescu on 10-23-2013
[QUOTE=TBear;13866923]Mundine should blame the promoters for not being able to come up with the money.[/QUOTE] They sold only 1,500 tickets until last Sunday... I hope they are trying to build some hype over this one and reschedule it for Christmas...…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (12)