|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
Clear Thinking - Ten Ways
Does your mind sometimes feel like a television station you can't quite tune in? You know there's an interesting program on - or several, but everything is mixed with static. What if you could "tune in" at will, have clear thinking whenever you want it? Try some of the following.
Ten Clear Thinking Techniques And Tips
1. Take a walk. Science will eventually prove this to be a great way to improve the quality of your thinking, but don't wait for the proof. Aren't there enough other reasons to take a walk anyhow?
2. Stay away from sugar. If you want to understand what brain fog is, eat a sugary donut on an empty stomach, then do math problems twenty minutes later. What you will experience, along with the "sugar blues," is brain fog. At least lay off sugar and simple carbohydrates when you need to think clearly.
3. Organized space means clear thinking. It's rare that a person can actually work better in clutter. Organised working space means you won't have the thought "where is that..." distracting your mind.
4. Get better sleep. Sleep requirements vary, but the minimum for most is somewhere around five hours. Some suffer if they sleep less than eight hours. The research, however, indicates that after a certain minimum quantity, the quality of sleep is more important to normal brain function.
5. Try meditating. No time? Just close your eyes, relax, and watch your breath for a while. Accept that your mind will wander, but continually return your attention to your breath. Five minutes of this, and afterwards you'll feel a boost in your brainpower.
6. Resolve your "mind irritations." Watch your busy brain. Maybe a call you need to make has been bothering you, just below consciousness. Find these stressors, and do something to let them go. For example, make that call, or put it on a list, and your mind will let go of it for now. Just seeing a problem and saying, "There's nothing I can do about this until Friday," will often stop unconscious worrying.
7. Don't drink alcohol. At least don't drink too much. While moderate amounts can be conducive to creative thinking, all the evidence says that it is bad for the long-term health of your brain.
8. Make decisions quickly. Nothing gets in the way of clear thinking like a dozen decisions hanging around unmade. If nothing else, decide when you'll make the decision.
9. Get some fresh air. Go outside and breath deeply through your nose. You'll get a good dose of oxtgen to your brain, and the change of surroundings can help clear your mind.
10. Satisfy your physical needs. Clear thinking is easier if you aren't too hungry, thirsty, or hot.
You can think more clearly starting today. There are certainly more than ten ways, but you really only need to make a few of them a habit to have a more powerful brain. Why not try one or two right now?
Steve Gillman writes on many self help topics including boosting brainpower, losing weight, meditation, habits of mind, creative problem solving, learning gratitude, generating luck and anything related to self improvement. You'll find more at http://www.SelfImprovementNow.com
Beyond Good Luck: A Sense of Control Increases Motivation, Productivity, and ... - PayScale Career News
Motivation Monday: Author Fights Cancer to Write Children's Book About the ... - The Birmingham News - al.com
Looking at history: What's the motivation for Chivas USA in these final two games? - The Goat Parade
Nothing Ever Stays The Same
Nothing ever stays the same. On the one hand we despise change yet on the other we don't want to stagnate and become boring.
Nothing More Than Feelings
"How are you Inventing Your Life Today?" - the lead story from my last issue of Power & Presence - drew comments from several readers. Most of the comments went something like: "I wish I could have the degree of control over my life that you apparently do.
Inertia? 5 Tips to Getting Yourself Moving Again!
Inertia. Even the word sounds like a disease.
Practice, Practice, Practice
It may sound silly but the key to self-confidence and building more self-esteem is through practice. Practice what it is you want to feel more confident about and eventually, the confidence will show itself.
Let It Fly Over Your Head
Sarah Watson is a young woman who contracted HIV eleven years ago at the age of seventeen. She and her boyfriend discovered that they were both HIV positive.
Who Is The Inner Critic?
The inner critic is that voice inside your head that tells you that you aren't good enough, smart enough, talented enough, pretty enough, or strong enough. It nags and natters at you to the point that your self confidence and sense of bravery is destroyed.
Discover the Hidden Power of Self Motivation
Many studies have been done to research the effects of motivationand mental health. As the implications of helping those withnegative self-esteem, depression and anxiety are immense this iscertainly an area of research that deserves a great deal ofattention.
As you prepare to take your first steps, could there possibly be something holding you back?Maybe you have heard the phrase, "false evidence appearing real." It is a common acronym made from the one word that can and will stand in your path to success.
Our Life - Our Choice
OK, maybe that's a bit of an overgeneralization but it applies most of the time. Basically, what I am saying is that we are what we are because that's what we've decided to be.
How to Use the Power of Words to Your Benefit
Someone I know maintains that "motivational words are great coming from philosophers, but that's because they're not in the real world." The power of words can be an incredible aid to helping us remain motivated and focused.
How to Stay Motivated
You've read a book that motivates you to action; you've read a motivational quote and got pumped up; you've attended a seminar and listened to a motivational speaker and feel you can conquer the world.A week later the motivation is no longer there.
Take a Turn at Tenacious!
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.
8 Super Ways To Avoid Procrastination
We are all guilty of delaying what needs to be done at sometime or another; so learning ways of how to avoid procrastination is beneficial to everyone.Although learning how to avoid procrastination is simple, applying the principles is harder as those who do procrastinate, will put off even attempting to avoid procrastination itself.
Do You have a Dream?
Do you find yourself sitting at work longing to be somewhere else and doing something you have always wanted to do?We've all had moments like that and my moment came in 1995.I can vividly remember the day it happened.
Lights are Off and No One is Home
The other day I was on my way home, and for some reason all the traffic lights were out. It was 5pm, so needless to say it was rush hour, and pure chaos.
Sow the Seed - See the Harvest
The story is told of two boys who were walking through a field and found some corn seeds scattered across the ground. They each took one of the seeds home and planted it.
Courage and Fear
Mark Twain once said, "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear not absence of fear."Feeling fear is normal but so many are afraid to admit it.
How to Master Lifes Problems
"Life is a Tiger-ride, by no means easy, but ride we must; to dismount is to be devoured mercilessly."To most people, life is unfriendly, even merciless, and it is not all together incorrect for people to hold such a dreadful opinion about life if vicissitudes of life, unattainable goals and injustices are considered.
By Planning and Exerting Effort, You Can Change Things For The Better
Most of us plan to find the love of our life, our soul mate. It is a natural human instinct to find a partner.
Why Do 9 Out of 10 People Never Live Their Dreams?
When we were kids we all had dreams. There were no boundaries to our imagination and anything was possible.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.