Seven Habits Of Ineffective People
For maximum effectiveness in life, love or business, it helps to have the right habits. You knew that, of course, but don't forget that it also helps to not have the wrong habits. What are these?
Seven Effectiveness-Killing Habits
1. Short term thinking. I knew a man who paid $700 rent instead of $550 per month for a nicer place. The landlord didn't require a deposit, so he could move in for $300 less. Now he pays $1,800 more per year in rent. Borrowing from a loanshark to get into the other place would have made more sense, even at 200% annual interest.
2. Waiting for opportunities. Don't we all know people who are "waiting for their ship to come in," while others are out there building ships? Work invites opportunities - waiting doesn't.
3. Blaming. This is a favorite habit of many bitter people. When has blaming others ever motivated you to improve your situation? Talk about an effectiveness-killer.
4. Looking outside for answers to inside problems. Similar to blaming, this habit is based on misunderstanding why we are in our current situation. In our free and wealthy society, it's usually due to what's going on inside our heads.
5. Procrastinating. Actually, I like this habit. Just stop applying it to things you need to do, and apply it to picking up that cigarette, eating that cake, or getting into that argument.
6. Laziness. I don't know what to say about this bad habit, except that I don't know of anyone who has suffered greatly from forcing themselves to get up and do something. Try something easy first.
7. Acting on impulse. I met a guy at the bus stop this week who within five minutes mentioned that he had bought a $200 hat and that he was hoping they would approve his welfare application. Do you think he might have a problem with impulse control?
If "creating a new you" seems daunting, just start correcting your bad habits, one-by-one. This alone will increase your effectiveness in any pursuit, and your success in life.
Steve Gillman writes on many self help topics including boosting brainpower, losing weight, meditation, habits of mind, creative problem solving, learning grattitude, generating luck and anything related to self improvement. You'll find more at http://www.selfimprovementnow.com
My Grandmother Never Had a Degree
There were four generations sitting at the kitchen table, smacking on Mommy's delicious meal-somehow we never made it to the dining room. I smiled to myself when I thought of how fabulous this truly was--sitting here, next to my grandmother, my mother, my father, my sister, my children and my niece-celebrating Mother's Day.
Nurturing Your Vision
There is a new television show, called Blind Justice that will be replacing NYPD Blue. The show follows a Detective who, at the prime of his life and career, loses his vision in a heroic attempt to thwart a bank robbery and save other police lives.
You Want Me to Do What?
Most of the time whenever we need to make an important business decision we turn to what is convenient or comfortable. Why is it that we never seem to want to venture out and try new things.
Cure Your Burnout!
Do you ever get those Sunday night blues? Dreading the week ahead, feeling the daily grind just draining away all of your energy before the week even starts? Or what about those days where you just feel like you are going through the motions and not really being present in your own life?We've all been there - burned out.Recently I received the following email:I work from a home office and my last year has been very busy.
Live On Fire
Words seem inadequate to describe the beauty and abundance that surrounds us during the month of October in New England. It's as if Mother Nature has taken her paintbrush and with broad strokes has set the landscape ablaze in color.
10 Common Money And Success Myths - Part 2
Here are a few commonly held beliefs, or "myths," that hold many of us back from achieving success..
Heres How Tiger, Oprah, And Spielberg Stay Motivated
I want to share with you a powerful principle that I've usedto change my life and that you can use to unleash your greatness.Tiger Woods knows this.
The Story Of A King And Three Maidens - Six Keys To A Successful Relationship
A King was trying to choose between three maidens to be his wife and queen. It was very difficult to judge since these women were all very intelligent and beautiful.
Don't you just hate it when people make excuses for their failures? So do I. But do you know what I hate even more? Finding myself making excuses for my failures! I have a policy that I try to live by: No excuses.
The Art of Wastebasketry
Are your filing cabinets stuffed so full that it's difficult to retrieve and file papers? If you're like 80% of the people in the audiences to whom I speak, your answer is "Yes." "Are there things in your filing cabinet you could probably throw out?" Most once again answer "Yes.
Make Up Excuses Why You Can
We all have excuses as to why we can't do something. Ask anyone and they can give you a million excuses why it can't be done, why they haven't moved forward on their goals, and on and on.
Greed and Selfishness: Knowing The Difference And Loving Yourself!
I hear many people discuss how selfishness leads to greed, or that being greedy is part of being selfish. I simply have to say that "greed" and "selfishness" are not the same things.
Words That Inspire - CHOICE
What CHOICE do you want to make?Dictionary* says:the act of choosing, power of choosing, a person or thing chosen, the best part, care in selecting.What it REALLY means: making a commitment to what matters to you; acting on your priorities and your values; expressing to yourself and to others what you want and need in your life.
The Road Less Traveled
Can someone please tell me why it is that men who have nothing substantial to offer continually approach me? Do you have anything of benefit to bring to MY table? Do I wear a sign on my forehead that reads: WANTED. UNEMPLOYED MAN WITH NO MOTIVATION, NO GOALS OR ASPIRATIONS.
"There are only two ways of bringing brightness into your world; either change your attitude or open the closed doors of your brain"This holds true in all our lives; we all deserve a good & peaceful life, full of happiness. Our struggle to lead a better life and to grow everyday, both professionally and personally is highly appreciable; time and again we face situations which are highly abstruse, stress building and killer of our enthusiasm and high morale.
How to Make it Big In Spite of Your Challenges
Imagine for a moment it's five years from now and you are still making the same income (or just a little more), living in the same home or apartment. You are in debt.
The Easy Way To Lasting Self Motivation
Will power alone will never work over the long term. It isthe hardest way possible to get yourself to do anything.
Ten Major Causes of Failure
-Lack of a specific purpose in life. You can not hope to succeed in any field of your life if you don't have a central purpose.
The Simple Life
When we talk about a Simple Life, we are not talking about Paris and Nicole. We are talking about a life that is in harmony with our values.
Motivation From A Great Western - We All Have It Coming
Most self-help gurus warn us against watching too much TV. Spending time with your much maligned TV set does have advantages, however.