|The Lounge | Champions | The Wire | Schedule | Audio | Arcade | The Top Ten | Historical | Email | Video|
How To Become More Patient
"Lord give me patience - and hurry!"
Have you ever prayed this prayer? You've had plenty of opportunities to, haven't you? I don't know about you, but I tend to overestimate what I can accomplish in the hours I have, and underestimate the hassles that will accompany those tasks that seemed simple when I took them on. Patience is an essential skill for both organizational leaders and team members.
The good news is?patience can be learned.
The bad news is?patience is only learned through opportunities to practice it!
THE IMPORTANCE OF PATIENCE
Why is patience so important in the Magnetic Workplace? As you well know, hassles are the stuff of which daily schedules are made. The ability to stay calm and to adjust quickly when plans are thwarted is a necessary tool in every individual's repertoire of coping skills.
A manager's patience is especially important. If a person in a leadership role blows up easily, everyone else will be "invited" to do the same. Patience is also essential as the manager coaches and develops people. Growth does not occur in a smooth, upward pathway. Even in the best of cases, there are setbacks, disappointments, and struggles. There will be occasions in which the manager has invested time and energy into a team member, only to have him or her bail out or even betray the leader.
Everyone's patience is challenged when major organizational changes are attempted. An organizational culture is a powerful force, and positive changes in the system take time. (It seems, unfairly, that negative changes can occur almost instantly!)
FIVE STRATEGIES FOR DEVELOPING PATIENCE
1. Become more realistic in your expectations. "Stuff happens", and the sooner we acknowledge that, the more accurately we can plan the tasks in our lives. Optimism is good, but unrealistic optimism about uninterrupted smooth sailing can sabotage the completion of important tasks. Expect and plan for delays, complications, and setbacks. You'll be better prepared if they happen, and delighted if they don't!
2. View setbacks as temporary. Research shows that the most resilient people are able to view problems as temporary. They often use the adage, "This, too, shall pass."
3. Keep the mentality of the problem-solver, not the victim. The theme song of people with the victim mentality is, "Gloom, Despair, and Agony on Me." They see themselves as unfortunate pawns of negative forces and other people who control their destinies. Problem-solvers, on the other hand, look at negative situations to discover what they can do. They are able to distinguish the things over which they have control vs. the things that they can't change. Within the conditions they face, they stay involved and active in doing the little things that make a difference. They work especially diligently in keeping their own internal reactions positive and constructive.
4. Reject bitterness. Bitterness is the result of anger that is not resolved. It's a killer?psychologically, relationally, and physically! Bitter people are anything but patient. They have short fuses, overreacting when even unrelated situations remind them of the person or event they resent. Resolve conflicts promptly, and/or choose to forgive and move on!
5. Remember your successes in other difficult situations. When you find yourself in a mess that seems unending, and you wonder if you'll ever make it?take heart! Remember that you've been in tough situations before, and you're still here. Recall times that looked impossible, but you found a way. Have faith that this time will be no exception.
Dr. Bev Smallwood is a psychologist who has worked with organizations across the globe for over 20 years. Her high-energy, high-content, high-involvement Magnetic Workplaces (r) programs provide dozens of practical strategies and skills that can be put to work immediately to:
Review a complete list of her programs available for your convention or corporate meeting at the website, www.MagneticWorkplaces.com.
New Research from Maritz Motivation Solutions Evaluates the Effectiveness of ... - The Edwardsville Intelligencer
Do you ever postpone things, or just forget about them for a while, or tell yourself, "I'll get to that later?" Do you sometimes feel guilty about it? Well, it's true that procrastination can be a bad habit, but there are times when it can be useful.Procrastination When You Are UnsureSometimes procrastinating makes sense if you aren't sure you should be doing something.
IntroductionWordNet defines a rut as a groove or furrow (especially in soft earth caused by wheels) or a monotonous routine that is hard to escape; as in "her job made her feel that she was stuck in a rut".What is this thing that we call a rut? Is one man's rut another man's rapture? I.
Are You Suffering from the Autopilot Dilemma?
An epidemic is occurring all around you, and there is a good chance it has already found its way into your life. It begins slowly at first, nearly imperceptible.
Glass Half Full
YES MY GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL AND YOURS CAN BE TOO!Clients, friends and colleagues often comment on the fact that I am a walking and talking field of positive energy. They wonder, often in amazement, how I keep a balance of calm and joy on a day to day basis.
3 Great Ways To Stay Motivated At Work
Staying motivated at work is easier than you think when you know what to do.1.
Context-Free Living ... Living Without Boundaries!
I know by now that you've heard the terms Debt-Free Living, Disease-Free Living, or an overabundance of other such coined terms for various marketing ploys to sell products and services. However, I'm not here to sell you anything, as what I'm offering, you already have! You just don't know it yet!Context-FreeA context is a circumstance, point of reference, or a situation by which a particular view is aligned and a unique meaning is derived.
I edited and re-edited my article. I had to make sure it was just so.
Keep the Channel Open
Why do you do what you do? What is your real work in the world, and why is it important to know the answer?I'm an entrepreneur at heart. I have started and run several businesses, and as I look back, I think the most important element in financial and personal success is awareness of purpose and the capacity to stay open to it.
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses
Lately, I've become super sensitive to the amount of excuses people make for not living up to their fullest potential.I have a friend who is starting out on a new venture.
Your Date with Destiny
Destiny. What a powerful word.
Motivation - How to Design a Life
"Have you ever felt like you've become the worst possible version of yourself?" - Tom Hanks in "You've Got Mail"Have you ever been relaxing at the movies, enjoying a nice lite movie, only to get blown away by a line said in passing?That's what happened recently as my wife and I watched "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. The couple are having an ongoing email courtship, exchanging messages in the wee hours of the night, when this question comes out of nowhere: "have you ever felt like you've become the worst possible version of yourself?"And I thought we were just going to the movies.
Power Of The Mind
THOUGHTSJames Allen in his Book "As a Man Thinketh"says Mind is the Master power that moulds and makes, and man is mind and evermore he takes , The tool of thought, and shaping what he wills, brings forth a thousand joys, a thousand ills. He thinks in secret and it comes to pass.
5 Keys to Maintaining Personal Change
I look out my window at daybreak as the sunrise creates tiny sparkles on sheets of frozen snow. Two mornings later, the snow and sparkles are gone.
5 Great Ways To Overcome Procrastination At Home
If you procrastinate at home you may suffer some consequences from disgruntled family members who have to carry your share of the workload.A worst-case scenario is that your procrastination and lack of motivation may carry over to other members of your family, resulting in absolutely nothing being done.
A Resolution for Excellence
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Are You Ready To Make A Strong Finish?
Talk about a strong finish! In their inspiring story of perserverance which ultimately led to great success and victory, the Detroit Shock won their first ever WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association) championship title. USA Today told of their "worst-to-first odyssey" where the team, after winning only nine games in 2002, they finished 2003 with a league-best record and championship title.
A Perfect World ... Imbalance Creates Motivation
I am a big proponent of balance. Everything has to be just so.
Habit Change--Six Steps to Success
As every New Year approaches, many of us are doing the usual?thinking, "This year will be different. I'm going to change?(fill in the blanks)?my work habits, my attitudes.
Speed Reading Technique
Four Brilliant Tips to Speed Read Faster than EverMany people, particularly students, would love to beable to take in information faster. However prior to retaininginformation, they've to go through the 1st stage oflearning, which is reading.
Testy Horses and the Art of Speed Waiting
"What are you waiting for?" said Nelson, looking at me impatiently. "Well? Go on.
Section Site Map - Submit News - Feedback - Comments - Advertise with Us
Copyright © 2006 Luminati Inc. All rights reserved.