By Rafael Soto
Los Mochis, Sin - Fernando "Kochulito" Montiel wants to prove that he's back. He faces the dangerous former world champion Nehomar Cermeno of Venezuela on June 25 at the Banorte Stadium in Culiacán, Sinaloa. This will be Montiel's first ring appearance since the crushing two round knockout to Nonito Donaire in February in Las Vegas. "Kochulito" Montiel (43-3-2, 34 KOs) has been training for weeks in order to be 100% ready for his super bantamweight contest with Cermeno (20-3-0, 12 KOs).
"I want to go big, so I am facing a former world champion. I want to re-occupy the position that I previously held and I want to fight for a fourth world championship. I have prepared everything and I will win this fight, but it is always best to do it by knockout," said Montiel.
Montiel has been training at an impressive pace with his training routines for strength and speed. His father and coach, Manuel Montiel, as well as his brothers Eduardo, Pedro and Manuel Jr., are satisfied with what they saw in the gym but warned him that his fight will not be easy.
"Fernando was very good in the gym. He physically and mentally ready to return, but everything must be seen in the ring during fight time. He's coming back from being knocked out and we have to see that everything goes well. We have to see how he reacts up there," Manuel Montiel said.
Tags: Fernando Montiel , Nehomar Cermeno , Montiel-Cermeno , Montiel vs Cermeno