Molina-Charlo Could Be Replaced By Alvarez-Thompson
By Rick Reeno
Golden Boy Promotions CEO, Richard Schaefer, already has a contingency plan in place - in the event IBF junior middleweight champion Carlos Molina is unable to fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Molina is scheduled to defend his title against undefeated Jermall Charlo as part of the Saul Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo Showtime Pay-Per-View.
As reported earlier, Molina was arrested in Las Vegas on Tuesday in connection to a pair of warrants out of the state of Wisconsin. Molina is facing a warrant from January 2007 by one jurisdiction in Wisconsin with failing to register as a sex offender, and also has an open warrant from another jurisdiction dating back to 2005 on a charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct, Yahoo Sports scribe Kevin Iole reported.
In 2002, Molina pleaded no contest to a charge of second-degree sexual assault of a child.
Schaefer told BoxingScene.com that Molina is still being held by the Clark County Detention Center in connection to an immigration issue.
If Molina is unable to go forward, then Schaefer will elevate the lightweight bout between Ricardo Alvarez and Sergio Thompson to the pay-per-view card.
"I was told he was out of jail, but on my way here [to the final press conference at the MGM] I was informed that he was back in. There is some immigration issue now. I'm not his promoter. It is up to his promoter to take of this. I was told by [Molina's lawyer] Leon Margules that he is working on it. Molina wants to fight. He is fired up. Charlo is aware of what's going on. We are going to give it until the weigh-in. If Molina is out, then we are going to move up Ricardo Alvarez and Sergio Thompson, which is a great fight and I think it might even be an enhancement," Schaefer said.
Alvarez was originally scheduled to face WBC champion Omar Figueroa, who last week withdrew with a hand injury.
[QUOTE=Pound4PoundStud;14300698]You need to seriously calm down and stop making personal comparisons. [B]NO ONE HERE CONDONES CHILD MOLESTATION!!!![/B] But you still cannot pass judgement WITHOUT KNOWING ALL THE FACTS. At first I thought it was a case of a grown man…Comment by LOWBLOW_CHAMP on 03-07-2014
[QUOTE=thuggery;14300257]He was 18 and his gf was 16, hardly a pedo :lol1:[/QUOTE] we don't know that for sure. were you there that night?? did you drop Molina off from the bar with the girl?? no???? nobody here knows what happened…Comment by zuz on 03-07-2014
Haha what a [B]s[/B]hitty PPV card. I believe worst ever. This bull[B]s[/B]hit ain't even worth a buck.Comment by LOWBLOW_CHAMP on 03-07-2014
lol Molina actually has fans here im surprised. either way he ruined it for himself and now will have to deal with whatever comes nextComment by Levity on 03-07-2014
Some real idiots here. LMAO at it being morally abhorrent for an 18 year old to have consensual sex with a 15/16 year old, and the people who are throwing around labels like 'pedo' can GTFO without knowing the facts…Post a Comment/View More User Comments (58)