Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Ratings  |  Arcade
Milenkovic: Nongqayi in Top Shape, Ready For Arce - Boxing News
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
 Last update:  9/22/2011       Read more by Ronnie Nathanielsz            &
Milenkovic: Nongqayi in Top Shape, Ready For Arce
Mobile Version Share Click Here To Email   Search BoxingScene Database 

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

Top South African promoter Branco Milenkovic says his fighter, former IBF super flyweight champion  Simphiwe Nongqayi is “in good condition” and ready to battle WBO super bantamweight champion Jorge “Travieso” Arce who  has revenge on his mind as he prepares for their super bantamweight title clash in Mexicali, Mexico on Saturday.

Milenkovic who is recovering from stomach surgery, said his main concern is that because of a delay in obtaining his visa, Nongqayi arrived in Mexico just three days before the fight although he believes “this is why its better for him (Nongqayi) to take a fight in a higher weight division.”

At the same time Milenkovic told he doesn’t think “the one year layoff will affect him that much since he has been training for a long time and is very dedicated” even as he revealed that Nongqayi is “a wanted man” in Mexico “ after causing huge upsets in an IBF eliminator against Francisco Arce and in his next fight against Jorge Arce  for the IBF world title.”

Arce is one of the big-name fighters being eyed by WBC/WBO  bantamweight champion  Nonito” The Filipino Flash” Donaire but right now Arce plans to take care of his title defense against the tough Nongqayi while Donaire prepares for his title defense against undefeated two-division champion Omar Narvaez of Argentina at New York’s Madison Square Garden on October 22.

Arce who has a record of 67-6-2 with 44 knockouts is one of the most attractive fighters with an aggressive style and a willingness to wage war against his opponents. He lost the IBF title by a twelve round unanimous decision against Nongqayi on September 15, 2009 while his brother Francisco also lost by a twelve round unanimous decision to the South African on February 28, 2009.

Nongqayi himself lost the title by a stunning 6th round TKO to Mexico’s Juan Alberto Rosas on July 31, 2010 and hasn’t fought since then. The 14 month layoff may tell on the South African in Sunday’s showdown.

Arce claims there is a triple motivation to defend his title. To begin with Arce says it’s a big fight on a big fight card. Then, he has the desire to avenge his brother Franciso Arce’s loss to Nongqayi and lastly he wants his own revenge against the South African for beating him on what Arce claimed was “a bad night.”

The brash Mexican who has trained hard for eight weeks under trainer Jesus Lucero says he’s taking the fight very seriously and promises to make Nongqayi pay for beating him and his brother.

Tags: Jorge Arce

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (0) 

 Top Headlines
 MMA Headlines
 Related Articles
  Wladimir Klitschko: Reality Sta...
  Haye vs. De Mori: Tony Dodson T...
  David Haye: If Tyson Fury Wins,...
  Kovalev Expects Tough Fight Wit...
  Floyd Mayweather Sr: Ronda Rous...
  Kosei Tanaka Defends WBO Belt A...
  Tyson Fury: Klitschko Will Be O...
  DeGale Declares Himself Boxing’...
  Canelo's Trainer To Golovkin: C...
  Miguel Cotto Plots Mid-2016 Ret...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads



Cookie Policy - Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2015 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.