Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team

Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | The Wire |  Audio  |  Arcade
Mike Jones on Andre Berto Vacating, Eyes The IBF Crown - Boxing News
Advertisement
BoxingScene Archive
• Boxing Articles
• Boxing Interviews
• Breaking News
• Boxing Press Releases
• Boxing Results
• World Boxing News
Follow BoxingScene
 
Search BoxingScene

>>>Advanced Search<<<
• Register A Free Account
• Account Login
• Boxing Schedule
• Boxing Champions
• Boxing Downloads
• Boxing Forums
• Boxing News Wire
• Boxing Photos
• Boxing History
• Boxer Search
• Fantasy Betting
• Feedback
• Fitness and Health  
• Free Homepage
• Mixed Martial Arts
• Pound For Pound
• Upcoming Fight Archive
                                                                                                                                                            ...............

 Last update:  11/15/2011       Read more by Keith Idec         
   
Mike Jones on Andre Berto Vacating, Eyes The IBF Crown
Share Click Here To Email Printable version Search BoxingScene Database 

By Keith Idec

Mike Jones is disappointed Andre Berto gave up the IBF welterweight title last week.

Jones had hoped a win against Sebastian Lujan on Dec. 3 at Madison Square Garden would’ve landed the undefeated Philadelphia contender a shot at Berto.

“It’s definitely a fight that I want,” Jones said of facing Berto (28-1, 22 KOs), who won the IBF belt from Slovenia’s Jan Zaveck (31-2, 18 KOs, 1 NC) on Sept. 3 in Biloxi, Miss. “I see me winning. I see me catching Andre Berto and knocking him out.”

Berto gave up the IBF championships because HBO Sports executives want to televise a Berto-Victor Ortiz rematch next, not the IBF-mandated bout Berto owed No. 2 contender Randall Bailey, who was paid an undisclosed fee to step aside and allow the Berto-Zaveck fight. Bailey was supposed to fight the Berto-Zaveck winner, but an Ortiz rematch is a much more lucrative alternative for Berto and HBO isn’t interested in paying for a Berto-Bailey bout.

Lou DiBella, who promotes Berto and Bailey, hopes to make a bout between Miami’s Bailey (42-7, 36 KOs) and Carson Jones (32-8-2, 22 KOs), of Oklahoma City, Okla., for the vacant IBF 147-pound title.

Top Rank Inc., which co-promotes Jones along with Peltz Boxing, has requested that the IBF sanction Jones versus Lujan as a title fight. The 12-rounder is currently an IBF welterweight elimination match that’ll pit the fighters it ranks No. 3 (Jones) and No. 4 (Lujan) against each other.

“I want to be a world champion,” Jones said. “That’s a dream of mine. That’s what I want to do. That’s what I’m working hard for.”

Title fight or not, the 28-year-old Jones (25-0, 19 KOs) is fully focused on what he expects to be a difficult fight against Argentina’s Lujan (38-5-2, 24 KOs) on the Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito pay-per-view undercard. Jones owns height, reach and skill advantages over his rugged opponent, but Lujan, 31, has won 12 straight bouts.

“Lujan is strong,” Jones said. “He’s awkward and he’s tough. Those guys are tougher to fight than guys with skills, for the most part, because his punches come from all different angles and they don’t run out of gas. So it’s going to be a very tough fight for me.”

Keith Idec covers boxing for the Record and Herald News, of Woodland Park, N.J., and BoxingScene.com.

Tags: Andre Berto , Mike Jones , Sebastian Lujan , Jones-Lujan , Jones vs Lujan


 

 User Comments and Feedback (must register to comment)

comment by Ringlife, on 11-16-2011
This guy Jones needs to fight Somebody Good already Bob doing a poor job promoting this guy the good thing is that Jones wants the big fights at !47.

comment by marvin douglas, on 11-15-2011
Can someone tell be why on earth Bailey is the #1 contender. His been beat every time he's faced a good fighter and his wins are against nonames. that just shows you how bogus the ranking organizations are. They make money on sanctioning fees, but really, do you really care is the fight is f...

comment by nycsmooth, on 11-15-2011
Hope it's Bailey, as that's how it should be, and for Randall, like a double pay day..guess he goi 50k for steppng aside if they wanted Vic so bad...

comment by Chief2ndzOnly!, on 11-15-2011
[QUOTE=Rome-By-Ko]If Jones wins his next fight,he should have to fight Bailey for the belt..After that he could mix it up with the winner of Ortiz Berto..I got him beating all three...[/QUOTE] I agree 100% with you Rome homie. I think Mike would outclass all three. But I do believe that he s...

comment by apokalips, on 11-15-2011
[QUOTE=SekondzOut]Mike would smash Berto...been saying this since day uno....lets get it!!...MJ vs the Berto/Ortiz winner....oh yea(in my Randy Savage voice) :boxing:[/QUOTE] Definitely wouldn't object to this. I would like to see these guys all fighting each other often...create some new boxing...

Post A Comment/View More User Comments (7) 

   
 Top Headlines
 Advertisement
 
 MMA Headlines
 
 Related Articles
  Erislandy Lara vs. Ishe Smith S...
  Juan Manuel Lopez Decides To Re...
  Carlos Spencer is Set To Make P...
  Manny Pacquiao Begins Light Tra...
  Rodriguez To Face Cartagena For...
  Mayweather Sr. Erupts: That F**...
  Thomas Dulorme Inks Managerial ...
  Pacquiao: Mayweather Moved Too ...
  Sykes vs. Walsh Added To Loaded...
  Pazienza: Mayweather Will Only ...

 Latest Active Forum Threads
Latest Active Threads
 Advertisement

 


Advertisement



Privacy Policy - Submit News - Feedback - Site Map - Advertise with Us

Copyright © 2003-2014 BoxingScene LLC. All rights reserved.