Miguel Cotto Looks To Finish Career With Top Rank
By Luis Sandoval
Miguel Cotto has made quite a few changes since the last time we saw him in the ring losing a unanimous decision to Austin Trout at Madison Square Garden. Cotto has since acquired the services of renowned trainer Freddie Roach and has returned back to working with his former promoter Top Rank.
In 2012, Cotto became a promotional free agent and worked with Top Rank rival Golden Boy Promotions as he secured a fight with Floyd Mayweather Jr and Austin Trout in the process. The monetary rewards were indeed lucrative but he went winless during in his 2 fight stint.
Now that he is back with his former promoter, it looks like Cotto intends to finish off his career with Top Rank.
“I began as a professional boxer with Top Rank. They made me the boxer I am right now. I’m a loyal guy. I think of them and who else better to finish my career with than Top Rank” Cotto would tell Steve Kim and other media members.
The move to Golden Boy for Miguel in 2012 appears to have just been a business decision for him as even Bob Arum had told BoxingScene before there was an amicable split and still a positive relationship with Cotto.
“I was a free agent and I’m still a free agent. I worked with [Golden Boy]. We made our arrangements and we worked together easily. That’s it” said Cotto.
There have been many fights mentioned for Cotto should he get passed Delvin Rodriguez on October 5th. One in particular that even Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer mentioned was with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez who is fresh off a defeat to Floyd Mayweather.
It’s a fight that had been previously discussed and one that would still generate money and interest. Cotto was asked if he felt working with Top Rank again would hinder big fights like the Alvarez one considering Golden Boy has the majority of the big names at 154 pounds and have refused to do business with Top Rank.
“No, we are going fight by fight. We have a good relationship with Top Rank and Top Rank is who we have in mind that’s who we want to work with” answered Cotto.
Cotto assures that while the media and the boxing world are already talking about his next bout, he’s completely focused on Rodriguez and isn’t over looking him for a second.
You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter @Truewest007. You can also tune in to BoxingScene Radio, Boxingscene’s official radio show every Tuesday from 6-8PM PST with hosts Ernest Gabion, Luis Sandoval, and Ryan Burton.
[QUOTE=Arakawa Dunn;13767888]Or Arum is trying to position him to win a MW title and then the manny rematch in Macau for manny's 9th title.[/QUOTE] @ 150 pounds as well.Comment by deanrw on 09-20-2013
Bob and Cotto always got along. Cotto had to jump ship to get a couple fights he wanted, but also had the respect to come back. Bob always got him big fights and big paydays. He was even getting $4…Comment by The Big Dunn on 09-20-2013
[QUOTE=Evol;13767944]F[B]l[/B]omoes and their conspiracy theory. The hate for top rank bob and manny is strong[/QUOTE] d1ckhead its not a conspiracy theory. If you step back and think for once, it makes sense both financially and historically.Comment by Evol on 09-20-2013
[QUOTE=Arakawa Dunn;13767888]Or Arum is trying to position him to win a MW title and then the manny rematch in Macau for manny's 9th title.[/QUOTE] F[B]l[/B]omoes and their conspiracy theory. The hate for top rank bob and manny is strongComment by mrpain81 on 09-20-2013
[I]I remember reading the same thing before Cotto jumped ship to GB for Mayweather.[/I] [QUOTE][B][SIZE="4"]Cotto Makes it Clear: Bob Arum Will Always Promote Me[/SIZE][/B] "[B]The only thing I want to let you know is that Bob Arum was, is and…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (36)