Advertisement
Advertisement

Mickey Bey's Career Back on Track After Rodriguez Win

By Chris Robinson

On the night of February 19th, 2011, undefeated junior lightweight Mickey Bey Jr. suffered the only blemish of his career when he was held to a majority draw against Fort Worth, Texas' Jose Hernandez inside of the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. The disappointment following the verdict ran deep for the Cleveland, Ohio native, especially considering the fact that Bey feels he wasn’t at his best for a particular reason.

A day after the fight Bey would reach out to me with some important news, as he stated that he had fractured both of his hands in the third round of the fight, thus preventing him from delivering the type of performance he had been hoping for. Even more frustrating was the fact that the 28-year old had inked an exclusive deal with Top Rank Promotions one fight prior and was hoping to angle himself for a huge 2011 campaign.

Bey would give himself some months to allow his injuries to heal and when it was announced that he would be appearing on the televised portion of ESPN’s Friday Night Fights on July 1st I decided to catch up with him. Days after reconnecting over the phone I met up with Bey as he trained out Johnny Tocco's on the East side of Las Vegas for a crucial bout in his career.

Prior to his workout I asked Bey about his draw with Hernandez months earlier and the feelings he had after having some time to reflect on the situation.

"I put it like this,” Bey told me. “Anybody else with two fractured hands would have quit in that fight. It was a hard fight, probably would have been a competitive fight regardless, but was worse with two fractured hands from the third round on. I had to stay smart, buy time, fight as hard as I could. I couldn't quit, that wasn't an option. The pain was so bad that I was surprised myself that I kept going. But I could never going."

At the time Bey’s trainer Jeff Mayweather was down in Panama getting Celestino Caballero ready for his recent title shot at WBA featherweight champion Jonathan Barros and Floyd Mayweather Sr. was overseeing his duties. Floyd Sr. had actually worked with Bey years back and the two men appeared to pick up where they had last left off.

"It's great. It's been great. I've been working with Floyd. That's who taught me the professional game since I first started boxing. It's just great working with him. I just loved working with Floyd, he's taught me a lot from when I first started and we've picked it up for this camp. I'm sure the results will be great on July 1st,” stated Bey.

Bey definitely appeared to be a new man as he was in rare form against overmatched Alejandro Rodriguez in San Antonio, Texas on the first of July. Working behind a solid jab, Bey began landing serious leather in the opening rounds and was in complete control before a crushing right hand in the 4th round dropped his Mexican foe not once, but twice as the fight was waived off.

A title shot may not be around the corner but you can tell how grateful Bey is just to be back.

“It felt good to be back in, even better that I didn’t injure my hand like I did the last two fights. My left hand was kind of sore but no serious injury. It felt great. I always try to take a page and learn something out of everything. So, I just wanted to make sure that I was sharp this fight.”

Tags: Mickey Bey image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment/View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Photos: Ruslan Provodnikov, John Molina Training For War Nate Diaz: I'd Whoop Mayweather, McGregor Asses in One Night! Margarito Says Ramon Alvarez Likely, Wants Canelo Next Roach: Pacquiao Can Return For Canelo, But Floyd is Bigger Draw Hassan N'Dam vs. Swierzbinski, Amar-Demchenko Will Go Ahead Agit Kabayel Helping Tyson Fury Prepare For Klitschko Rematch Casimero is Ready, Wants Roman Gonzalez Unification Next Fortune To McGregor: Forget Mayweather, Shut Up F***ing Yapper! Povetkin's Promoter Embraces WBC Ruling on Deontay Wilder Mike Tyson: Foolish Plan, But Olympic Amateurs Might Beat Pros Anthony Cacace, Barry McGuigan Decide To Part Ways Hearn Urges Haye To Face Whyte To Speed Up Road To Joshua Deontay Wilder Granted Permission To Make Voluntary By WBC Zolani Tete: Haskins and McDonnell are Holding My Titles Kathy Duva To Be Honored At 7th Annual Raging Babe Brunch Jurors Set For All-Star Boxing vs. Canelo/Golden Boy Lawsuit Jazza Dickens (Injury) Pulled From June 4 Liverpool Show Miguel Flores To Face Ruben Tamayo on PBC on FS1 Erislandy Lara Sees No Network Issues in Making Golovkin Fight Casimero Knocks Out Ruenroeng In Four, Wins Flyweight Crown Focal Point: Lebedev Rises To Top Of Red-Hot Cruiserweight Division Keith Thurman: We Don't Yet Know If Kell Brook is 'Really Special' Provodnikov: Golovkin Blows Out Canelo, GGG-Ward is The Fight Michael Buffer on The UK Scene and Tony Bellew Friendship Morrison, Johnson To Return On June 18 In Manchester Parker Eyes War With Joshua, Brushes Off Whyte's Trash Talk Video: Ruslan Provodnikov Shows His Power on The Heavy Bag Groves Feels Murray Never Recovered From Pounding By Golovkin Video: Ruslan Provodnikov Details Strategy, Camp For Molina Teddy Atlas: I Don't Think There is Any Interest in May-Pac Rematch Whyte Eyes Anthony Joshua Rematch: I Want To Whup His Ass! Video: Joel Diaz on Recent Defeats of Victor Ortiz, Tim Bradley Custio Clayton Continues His Streak With Knockout Win Video: Justin Fortune on Khan, Golovkin, McGregor, Canelo, More Miguel Vazquez: I Will Ask Al Haymon To Get Me Adrien Broner Jermell Charlo Tells WBC That He Wants Canelo Alvarez Clash Video: John Molina Talks, Ruslan Provodnikov Crashes Interview Golovkin's Promoter: Canelo Talks Not Dead, Still Our Priority! Video: Ruslan Provodnikov Cracks Away on The Mitts Video: Provodnikov on Golovkin vs. Canelo, Facing John Molina
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement