by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Mercito “No Mercy” Gesta who put on a disappointing performance in losing by a lopsided unanimous decision in a IBF world lightweight title fight against champion Miguel Vasquez last December 8 will be out for the rest of the year with a fractured rib.
Vince Parra who was co-manager of Gesta and trained him for several fights where he remained undefeated until he lost to Vasquez told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard he hasn’t spoken to Gesta “in a couple of months.”
He revealed that Gesta’s father, Anicieto, had taken over as his trainer and that “in the first day of sparring with a young prospect got caught with a body shot and fractured his rib.”
The injury forced Gesta (26-1-1, 14 KO’s) to pull-out of a fight against Ajose Olusegun (31-2, 14 KO’s)last July 19 on ESPN.
Parra said that after his world title fight loss the southpaw Gesta took a break and was thinking over his future and appeared to have trouble getting his focus back.
The fight against Olusegun would have been an acid test for Gesta since the Nigerian born, British pro represented Nigeria at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and moved into the second round.
He also won a mandatory title shot at the WBC light welterweight title when he beat Frenchman Ali Chebah in California by a twelve round unanimous decision but lost by a 10th rounmd TKO to hard-hitting Argentine Lucas Matthysse in a battle for the interim title on September 8 last year.
Tags: Mercito Gesta