Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Mendez Rematch Looms as Salgado Prepares For Barros

By Jake Donovan

Juan Carlos Salgado knew a future opponent would be waiting in the wings from the moment Argenis Mendez and Martin Honorio agreed to terms for a rematch last month.

The trick now is to keep that on the backburner while his next opponent awaits, as the 130 lb. titlist prepares for an August 18 defense against Argentina’s Jonathan Barros in Puebla, Mexico.

Salgado (25-1-1, 16KO) has already beaten both Mendez and Honorio within his last three fights. Salgado survived a last-round knockdown against Mendez to take a disputed split decision in his native Mexico to win the vacant title. Two fights later, a strong start that included two early knockdowns was enough to fend off a late rally by Honorio to take a majority decision.

Needless to say, there was a bit of unfinished business no matter who won the July 21 rematch between Mendez and Honorio. In the end, it was Mendez for the second time in as many tries, winning a wide decision at the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, FL. The outcome was much wider than was the case in their first fight two years ago, though Mendez advanced to the mandatory contender slot on both occasions.

He was forced to wait more than a year after the first fight for a title opportunity to finally surface. This time around, promoter Henry Rivalta – who signed Mendez earlier this year – tried his best to force the issue, insisting shortly after his fighter’s repeat win over Honorio that a rematch with Salgado would take place at the very same venue in September.

It’s entirely possible that the rematch does land in the states. Rivalta has stood behind his fighters every step of the way in his rookie year as a promoter, as oppose to Mendez having to settle for fighting on another promoter’s show last year in his lone title fight to date.

What won’t happen, however, is the fight taking place in September, no matter how good Salgado looks next month in his Televisa-televised headliner.

Barros (34-2-1, 18KO) is a former featherweight titlist, who managed a disputed decision win over Celestino Caballero last year before coming up short in the rematch. The lone other loss of his career came at the fast hands of Yuriorkis Gamboa in their March ’10 featherweight title fight.

Salgado makes the third defense of his 130 lb. title. He enters the fight on the heels of the aforementioned win over Honorio this past March, which followed a disappointing no-contest against Miguel Beltran last December in a bout that ended on a cut-inducing headbutt inside of two rounds.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Brook: This Will Be a Prince Naseem vs. Kevin Kelley Type of Fight Joshua: Klitschko Should Leave on Positive Note, Forget Rematch Sanchez: When Golovkin Goes To 168, Jacobs Will Be Dominant Arum: Pacquiao Wants Purse for Crawford to be Worth the Risk Photos: Manny Pacquiao Continues Hard Grind For Horn Defense Ryan Martin Back at Big Bear, Helping Shafikov For Easter Bout Muhammad Waseem May Land Eliminator in Fall, Says Manager Sugar Ray: Spence Must Use Tactics I Did With Hagler To Beat Brook Amir Khan: Very Few Fighters Can Fill Wembley - I'm One of Them! Beltran: I Should No Problem Getting Green Card After That KO Gary Russell Jr. - If No Unification Next, I Plan To Move Up Thurman: Hard To Be Confident in Brook, He Hasn't Proved It at 147 Berchelt: Miura a True Warrior, Confident I'll Leave With My Belt Juan Manuel Marquez Return Still in Play For July, Says Nacho Team Uzcategui Will Push For No-Contest, Dirrell Rematch Order Ryota Murata Feeling Good About Career Despite Shocking Loss Brook: No Issues With Weight, Close To 147 For Spence Defense ABC Calls For Ban of Dirrell's Trainer Due To Post-Fight Assault Promoter: David Benavidez Will Roll Over Everyone Shelly Vincent Tops Broadway Boxing Card, June 3 Mayweather on Canelo-GGG: May, September Are My Dates Video: Floyd Mayweather, Anthony Joshua Come Together in UK Michael Walsh Eyes Comeback, Set To Return On June 2 Ian Tims vs. Luke Watkins For Vacant Irish Belt, June 10 In Belfast Joshua: Mayweather-McGregor is Bigger With Me on Undercard Adrien Broner To Spend Three Days in Jail For Contempt Charge Groves Admits a Loss To Chudinov Could Be End of His Career Duva: Barrera Was Right on Beterbiev, Smith Deal Easy To Make Agitated Arum: HBO, Showtime Don’t Own the Boxing Business! Mayweather Confident He Would School Golovkin in 'Easy' Fight Big Changes at 108: BoxingScene Ratings Update Frankie Gavin To Return, June 3 In Scotland Brook vs. Spence: Lawrence Okolie To Face Russell Henshaw Video: Anthony Joshua Talks Klitschko, Mayweather, Future, More Brook: After Beating Spence, I Want Thurman Unification Next! Coldwell Hopes Lewis Taylor Shocks Jamie Cox on Brook-Spence Amir Khan Not Happy With WBC's Decision, May Target Peterson Why Do Boxing Robberies Continue To Happen? Video: Shakur Stevenson Talks About Second Pro Fight, Future Deontay Wilder Hopes Joseph Parker Fight Can Come Together
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement