As reported on BoxingScene.com, former two division world champion Paulie Malignaggi will no longer be Conor McGregor’s sparring partner after photos were leaked of a 12-round session between the two earlier this week as the Irishman prepares to fight Floyd Mayweather.
Malignaggi said Tuesday’s sparring session had “a lot of violence,” and the photos show that.
Malignaggi posted a statement on Twitter saying he was leaving McGregor’s camp because “some of the stuff outside the ring and some ways some things were handled in training camp that I didn’t agree with.”
The 36-year-old then went on a Twitter rampage asking that the full sparring session be released on video, claiming he was pushed down by McGregor in the ring and not knocked down. He even said he “beat [McGregor’s] ass.”
“I just wanted to clear the air,” said Malignaggi, who retired from boxing this year. “I am leaving the McGregor training camp today. I came with the best intentions and intended to help out. Just the chance to be part of such a big event in this capacity excited me.
“I believe Conor and I have mutual respect inside the ring, learned from each other with good work over two sparring sessions. It’s some of the stuff outside the ring and some ways some things were handled in training camp that I didn’t agree with that made me come to this decision.”
If those photos didn’t sit too well with Malignaggi, what McGregor had to say about him on the latest episode of Showtime's “All-Access” series probably won’t put him in a very good mood either.
“He stayed in there, gotta give respect to that, but that was it,” McGregor said about Malignaggi. “He came, he got his ass whooped and that’s it, that's all.”