As previously reported, a deal has been reached for former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (49-0, 26 KOs) to come out of retirement for a boxing match with UFC champion Conor McGregor on August 26 in Las Vegas.
The date, requested by Mayweather Promotions for a Showtime event, was approved on Wednesday morning by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
Mayweather, 40-years-old, retired from boxing in September 2015 after dominating Andre Berto over twelve rounds. McGregor, who has not fought since he won the UFC lightweight title last November, recently became a father for the first time. He has never boxed professionally having switched to mixed martial arts as a youngster.
Both boxers have since confirmed that a deal was finalized on their individual social media accounts.
UFC President Dana White spoke with TMZ and revealed various details of the Showtime Pay-Per-View event.
According to White, the fight will be a twelve round boxing match. Both guys will use 10 ounce gloves.
While Mayweather Promotions placed the MGM Grand on hold for the date, White says the venue will be T-Mobile Arena [also owned by the MGM]. It would mark the first time since 2006 where Mayweather fought at any venue other than the MGM Grand.
White says the undercard will consist of boxing matches, with Mayweather Promotions handling the matchmaking.
TMZ asked Dana if there was a possibility Roy Jones Jr. will fight Anderson Silva -- he said -, "I highly doubt it."
Both Floyd and Conor will be tested by USADA for performance enhancing drugs.
Dana says he expects Conor to make around $100 million for the fight but wouldn't break down the financials. Dana says he spoke with Conor this morning -- he's VERY excited. Conor also believes with all his heart he will knock Mayweather out.
Fighters from Mayweather's stable are expected to feature on the undercard, including Badou Jack, who could face WBA world light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly. And a voluntary defense by IBF super featherweight champion Gervonta Davis.