Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Mayweather Refuses To Respond To McGregor Contract Claims

Video by Declan Taylor

Floyd Mayweather has refused to respond to Conor McGregor's claims the Irishman has signed to fight him.

UFC lightweight champion McGregor, 28, earlier said he had concluded his side of the negotiation process and that he hoped Mayweather would sign to fight "in the coming days".

McGregor last year obtained a boxing licence granted by the California State Athletic Commission, which would allow him to box in the US state, as part of his pursuit of a cross-sport showdown with Mayweather.

floyd-mayweather (1)_4

America's Mayweather is accompanying his protege Gervonta Davis in London, where on Saturday he makes the first defence of his IBF super-featherweight title against Liam Walsh.

He was asked about the latest development regarding a long-discussed fight with McGregor, but responded: "This is Liam Walsh and Gervonta Davis' press conference. Let's focus on these two competitors.

"That's total disrespect to both of these fighters, it's their press conference, let's talk about them. Both of these fighters deserve respect."

A potential fight between the two highest-profile fighters from each code has been discussed for much of the past 12 months.

In a statement issued to TheMacLife.com, the Irishman said earlier on Thursday: "It is an honour to sign this record-breaking deal alongside my partners Zuffa LLC, the Ultimate Fighting Championship and Paradigm Sports Management.

"The first, and most important, part of this historic contract has now officially been signed off on. Congratulations to all parties involved. We now await Al Haymon and his boxer's signature in the coming days."

On Wednesday, the UFC president Dana White revealed on TNT's live NBA play-off game broadcast that negotiations with McGregor had been completed ahead of what would likely prove a popular fight.

"The McGregor side is done," White told TNT. "I'm starting to work on the Mayweather side now.

"I'm not saying the fight will happen, but I've got one side done: now it's time to work on the other. If we can come to a deal with Haymon and Mayweather, the fight's going to happen."

Mayweather, 40, last fought in September 2015 when he outpointed Andre Berto.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by Sickmerch1990 on 05-19-2017

I do not hate floyd i was a huge fan for so long all way back when he beat corrales and the castilio fights just he had the talent of sugar ray or ali those men fought the huge fights…

Comment by robbyheartbaby on 05-18-2017

This is the biggest bunch of crap, it better not happen or else there goes a lot of the sports cred, for real.

Comment by lex_fugitive on 05-18-2017

It would be retarded for Floyd to sign immediately. As soon as people he hasn't signed right away, they try and say he is scared. The haters keep telling each other that until they start to believe it. Then when…

Comment by circled3 on 05-18-2017

For those that say Mayweather needs Conor, cmon now. That's just silly. Let's look at the whole picture. You have a 28 year old that hasn't had 1/2 of the career Mayweather has. Mayweather is 40!! AGAIN, 40!! Leave that…

Comment by Pigeons on 05-18-2017

Oh sh*t, Floyd is scared! He knows he's getting knocked out in 12 seconds like Aldo did.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (42)
Top Headlines Jimi Manuwa Believes Cross-Sport Bout With David Haye Happens Oscar Valdez, Top Rank Working Out Details of Sept. 22 Return Video: Jarrell Miller, Gerald Washington Confrontation at Presser Golovkin's Coach Laughs at Talk of Canelo Being a Big Puncher Video: Adrien Broner vs. Mikey Garcia Final Press Conference Joshua-Klitschko Rematch Could Be on PPV in United States Video: Mikey Garcia Talks "Donkey Kong" Photo, More Video: Jermall Charlo on Golovkin-Canelo, Broner, Wilder-Joshua Broner: Garcia Quit Against Salido; I Can Make Him Quit, Too Video: Adrien Broner Sounds Off on Mikey Garcia Fight! Ray Beltran; The Plan is To Knock Bryan Vasquez Out! Photos: Jermall Charlo, Jorge Sebastian Heiland - Go Face To Face Photos: Jarrell Miller, Gerald Washington - Very Tense Face To Face Photos: Adrien Broner, Mikey Garcia - Face To Face at Final Presser Nathan Cleverly vs. Dmitry Bivol is Ordered By The WBA Photos: Ray Beltran is Grinding Hard For Bryan Vasquez Clash Nathan Gorman Inks Deal With Frank Warren, BoxNation Jorge Linares vs. Luke Campbell Finalized - September 23, HBO Frank Warren Still Expects Tyson Fury To Return, Regain Titles Carlos Adames Drops, Decisions Carlos Molina in WBA Clash Daniel Dubois vs. AJ Carter For The Vacant Southern Area Title LIVE Stream: Adrien Broner-Mikey Garcia - Final Press Conference Efe Ajagba, Efetobor Apochi Ink Pacts With Ringstar Sports Photos: Carl Frampton, Andres Gutierrez - Final Press Conference Domonique Dolton Now Trained By Banks, Back on Shields-Adler Photos: Zou Shiming, Sho Kimura Make Weight For Battle Warren Says "Six Figure Sum" Offered To Buglioni To Fight Yarde Mikey Garcia: Adrien Broner Will Be Surprised at How Good I Am Paulie Malignaggi Breaks Down Adrien Broner vs. Mikey Garcia Garcia: Don't Know if Top Rank Would Make Crawford Fight With Me Gutierrez Vows: I'm Going To Ruin Carl Frampton's Big Night! Raymundo Beltran Still Fighting Hard To Secure His Green Card David Haye Makes Moves To Face Hughie Fury - If He Wins Title Video: Juan Francisco Estrada Motivated To Make Statement Roy Jones Jr. Wants a Showdown With Tony Bellew Video: Carlos Cuadras Eager To Shock Juan Francisco Estrada Kell Brook: I Want Miguel Cotto! Does He Fancy The Job? Video: Roman Gonzalez on The Rematch With Sor Rungvisia Adrien Broner-Mikey Garcia: Good Fight, Rewards Later Randy Caballero vs. Diego De La Hoya in Play For Canelo-Golovkin
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement