By Robert Morales
Promoter Bob Arum was was steamed, to say the least, at the latest development regarding a possible fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. He was angry about a story on ESPN's Sportscenter that centered on a phone call that took place Wednesday between Mayweather in Las Vegas and Pacquiao in the Philippines. The two apparently talked about the fight, with one of the details of their conversation being the purse.
Pacquiao told Mayweather he was fine with a 50-50 split, but Mayweather said that was not acceptable.
"He ask(s) about a 50/50 split and I told him, `No, that can't happen, but what can happen is you can make more money fighting me than you have made in your career,"' Mayweather was quoted by Sportscenter.
Mayweather also blamed Arum for the fight - which has previously met with failed negotiations - not being made.
"There is no fight I want more than the Manny Pacquiao fight," said Mayweather, who was supposed to begin a 90-day jail sentence for a domestic violence conviction Jan. 6, only to have a judge agree to stay that until June 1 so he can meet an obligation to fight May 5 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
"I guess he said he agreed to fight. The only thing that is stopping this fight right now, that I truly believe is stopping the fight, is Bob Arum."
When the subject of this story was broached with Arum, he went off.
"Apparently he is saying he isn't going to do a 50-50 deal. So that is the end of the story. Forget about it. This is like craziness. Manny is the box-office star, he is the pay-per-view star. He has all the endorsements. Who the f**k is this guy? I was shocked when Manny said we will do a 50-50 because I would not have done 50-50.
"I don't want to hear about Mayweather. It is just a waste of time. He blames me? What the f**k is he talking about."
Arum would have grudgingly gone along with Pacquiao on the equal division. But he said he would never agree on anything less.
Based on the recent series of events, Pacquiao is likely going to return on June 9th, either at the MGM Grand or the Thomas and Mack Center, and Miguel Cotto appears to be the frontrunner to secure the fight. An official announcement is expected in the coming days.
"This coming week the decision will be made," Arum said. "(Pacquiao adviser) Michael Koncz is flying back from the Philippines and we will have a decision and a fight in place for June 9."Tags: Manny Pacquiao , Floyd Mayweather Jr. , Mayweather-Pacquiao , Mayweather vs Pacquiao