By Rick Reeno
MGM Grand, Las Vegas - According to Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26KOs), he may have weighed 151-pounds at Friday's weigh-in, but when he came to ring on Saturday night for his scheduled fight with WBA 154-pound champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30KOs) - he only weighed 147-pounds. And despite the weight loss, Mayweather won a twelve round unanimous decision in a toe-to-toe war to capture Cotto's title.
Mayweather revealed that he suffered an injury to his left hand during training camp and rather than withdraw from the Cotto fight, he moved forward and continued to train at full force but he also took precautions.
"Training camp was tremendous, I was just mad that I couldn't box the last week because I was kind of sick and my hand was hurting. The last week my hand was hurting bad. I was letting my hand heal, I was icing my hand for the last week every day. Things happen like that in the sport. I sucked it up and went out there and did what I had to do," Mayweather said.
"I probably got it from sparring, hitting these guys. Even with it hurting, I still boxed with it. Even with it hurt I said I don't care, that's a part of my job. I'm here to impress everyone. You can't cry or complain or nothing like that. You just suck it up like a true champion and go out there and be a warrior."