Las Vegas, MGM Grand - As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, Juan Manuel Marquez is contemplating retirement after claiming he was "robbed" in a majority decision loss to Manny Pacquiao in their WBO welterweight clash at the MGM Grand on Saturday. Pacquiao retained his title after earning the verdict from two of the three judges. The scores were 114-114, 116-112 and 115-113. They fought to a twelve round draw in 2004, and Pacquiao won a close twelve round split decision in 2008.
"For me, the best judge is the audience and they responded sensationally tonight," Marquez said. "I would like to thank all the people that came to the arena. This time we not only beat him in the ring but also in the audience. The people were rooting for me and we are very happy for that.
"You need to win fights like this with intelligence and I was very intelligent tonight. Styles make fights and I think my style is complicated for his style. I think I won this fight again. What do I need to do before the judges give me the fight?
"What I need to do is sit down with my family and my camp and make a decision about continuing in this sport or just simply retire from the sport. It will be difficult. I have to decide, I have to see what happens. Maybe I will retire, maybe I won't. Honestly, it's a result of the fight. The thing that makes me think of retirement is because I have prepared myself so hard for 18 years. This was the biggest fight of my career."
Marquez's trainer Ignacio 'Nacho' Beristain was also angry.
"I feel that it is a joke for the people, for Manny and for Juan Manuel Marquez to have a type of decision like this," Beristain said. "I felt very disappointed and frustrated. The real winner tonight I think is Juan Manuel Marquez, not Manny Pacquiao." Tags: Manny Pacquiao , Juan Manuel Marquez , Pacquiao Marquez Trilogy , Pacquiao vs Marquez Trilogy