Mark Melligen Looking To Make a Return on July 16th
by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Former welterweight hopeful Mark Jason Melligen (21-3, 14 KO’s) who fell out of favor with Top Rank promoter Bob Arum after two disappointing losses is trying to make a comeback on July 16th in a small fight card to mark the fiesta of the town of Baliangao in Misamis Occidental where Ms. Svetlana Jalosos De Leon is the Mayor.
Promoter Sammy Gello-ani told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that Melligen has committed to maintain discipline and has been training for a month at the training camp set up by Gello-ani and works under trainer Danny Bactol.
Although the hard-hitting southpaw faces journeyman Dondon Lapuz who has a dismal record of 13-37-1 with 7 knockouts, Gello-ani said he wanted to see whether Melligen still has what it takes to move up in the super welterweight division.
Melligen who previously fought under ALA Promotions and received all the support including a contract with Top Rank and trained in Las Vegas with former Cebu resident Tony Martin, he fell out of grace twice.
The first time was when he lost a ten round split decision to Michael Rosales when he coasted in the last two rounds and dropped a split decision on November 13, 2009 at the Mandalay Bay House of Blues in Las Vegas.
After winning five fights in a row Melligen was given one last chance to prove his worth but he appeared o have taken his mind off boxing and lost by a 9th round knockout to Sebastian Lujan after being dropped in rounds 6, 7, 8 and 9 as he tired visibly.
That was the end of his ties with Top Rank and ALA Promotions.
Melligen apparently asked Gell-ani to give him a chance which is exactly what he plans to do. He said Melligen has so far shown exemplary conduct and discipline and he is hoping to give him a big fight should he perform impressively against Lapuz.
Lol, that was a funny KO when he lost to LujanPost a Comment/View More User Comments (1)