By Rey Colon
BoxingScene.com has been advised that Mexico's Antonio "The Tijuana Tornado" Margarito was cleared by doctors to return to action on December 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York, for a scheduled rematch with the current 154-pound champion of the WBA , Miguel Cotto.
However, Francisco 'Pancho' Espinoza, one of his managers, admitted that many details remain to be agreed up in the fight contract, but all of those issues could be resolved next week when he meets with promoter Bob Arum.
"Mr. (Arum) has said that the fight is in New York with Cotto but we haven't determined the weight or the title or anything. We know nothing more than we're fighting on the 3rd of December. Doctors gave him the approval and Margarito is in training. But he never stopped training," he said from Mexico.
Margarito has a record of 38-7 and 27 knockouts, has not fought since November 13 of last year when he lost a unanimous decision to Manny Pacquiao. The beating he took resulted in serious injury to the right side of his face that affected his eye.
Cotto, whose track record is 36-2 with 29 knockouts, last fought on March 11 of this year when he scored a twelve round knockout over Nicaraguan Ricardo Mayorga.
"I think on the meeting we will agree [to a deal]. I can not say anything more. Let's hope that next week we'll get together with the promoter. The fight is happening on the 3rd of December. That is a fact and Margarito has been cleared by the doctors," he said.
On the other hand, we've learned that among the details that have yet to be agreed upon is the weight because it is being proposing that the fight takes place at 150 pounds instead of the junior middleweight limit of 154.