By Mel "Sabaka" Ohlhoft
According to Kamini Padayachee of The Mercury, a United States judge has issued an order that requires Zindzi Mandela, the daughter of Nelson Mandela, to pay Los Angeles boxing adviser Duane Moody R62.1 million ($7.5 million) in damages for breaching a contract in which Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao were going to fight in South Africa as part of her father’s 93rd birthday celebrations.
Judge Richard Niedorf handed down a default judgment in Moody’s favor after Mandela failed to file responding papers. Moody claims in court papers that Mandela approached him in February to help secure the super fight, which was scheduled for Orlando Stadium, Soweto, in November - and would have been announced at a press conference on his birthday on July 18.
Moody claims that negotiations with Mayweather Jr. fell through when Mandela did not come up with the cash to finance the event. Moody then filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court on April 15, claiming damages for breach of oral contract, promise without the intent to perform, and negligent misrepresentation.
Mandela refused to answer any questions from the paper and referred the writer to her US representative, VisionQwest CEO Michael Lodge, which is the same accounting firm once used by Pacquiao.
“Mayweather was excited about the fight and about bringing his family to meet Nelson Mandela. He had not known Mandela had been an amateur fighter. We started off with a $20 million purse per fighter and said they would get a percentage of the pay-per-view and other revenues. And then it was to be a purse of $50 million per fighter. Zindzi assured me she had the money in place,” said Moody.
“It messed up my credibility with the Mayweathers and it affected my ability to do business in the entertainment industry."