After beating Josesito Lopez by way of an exciting sixth round technical knockout on June 8th in Carson, CA, in a card that broke the ticket’s selling historical record for the Home Depot Center, Argentina’s Marcos Maidana ratified his mandatory position to fight for the WBA regular welterweight title, which was won by Adrien Broner two weeks later. Therefore, Broner vs. Maidana is the fight many people is talking about in the last recent weeks.
However, as of yet Broner did not decide whether he will keep the 147-lbs title and honor his obligation to face Maidana or if he will move back to 135-lbs where he also holds the WBC lightweight title.
From his native Argentina, where ten days ago he suffered a car accident from which he luckily did not sustain any serious injuries, Maidana discussed his next move.
“We’re still waiting for Broner. We haven’t heard anything from him or his team. I think he has no choice to fight me because it’s such an attractive fight. I doubt he could move back to 135-lbs. because I don’t see great matchups for him in that division. Besides, it’s hard for your body to move back two divisions. But let’s wait,” El Chino said to BoxingScene.com.
“Broner decided to invade the welterweight division and though he didn’t put a brilliant performance he was good enough to beat a warrior like Malignaggi. So Broner is already the welterweight champion and needs to prove himself in a risky fight now,” Maidana added.
“Of course the Broner fight is the one I really like from both a style and a financial standpoint. It’s a fight that draws the fans’ attention which means we both can sell tickets and make very good purses. That’s what boxing is all about: to have great and risky bouts and great purses. I’m ready for his decision. If he does not want to face me then he must vacate the title and I’ll fight for the vacant strap,” Maidana said.
Maidana’s advisor Sebastian Contursi said to BoxingScene:
“Our promoter Golden Boy Promotions is very interested in this fight as Richard (Schaefer) and Oscar (de la Hoya) have made it public. Showtime wants it as informed by (Showtime VP) Stephen Espinoza. And boxing fans and media have made it clear they want the fight. We haven’t started any negotiations though ‘cause I think Broner’s people must be carefully studying all of the other options they have if any. I’d do the same ‘cause everyone knows Maidana is a high risk to take. However, all roads lead to Broner vs. Maidana.”