After several weeks of negotiations, the interim champion of the WBA welterweight, Marcos "El Chino" Maidana, reached an agreement with Golden Boy Promotions, which is why he will fight the regular junior welterweight champion of the WBA, Amir Khan, on Dec. 11 in Las Vegas.

Following the agreement, the purse bid which the World Boxing Association (WBA) had scheduled for Sept. 21 in Panama, is canceled.

"I am very happy that, finally, I will the fight with Khan. I am delighted that he has finally agreed to fight," said Maidana. "I never liked being called the interim champion, so I wanted to fight Khan to determine who is the real champion of the WBA at junior welterweight."

“I have always wanted to test myself against the best. I was very angry when it was said that I had invented an injury to avoid a fight with Timothy Bradley. Now everyone knows that the injury was invented by my former manager when I refused to fight because I had been offered low money.

"In fact, before fighting with Demarcus Corley (August 28), I said publicly that I wanted to fight Bradley before the end of the year. But after his promoter, Gary Shaw, talked trash, they took a fight with Devon Alexander. But the truth is that the fight will be on December 11, and I have great faith that I will win."

“The fact that the fight is in Las Vegas is even more motivating for me. I already fought in that city (in March, when he knocked out Victor Cayo), but this time it will be on a big stage, and that gives me a lot of pride. Now it is a matter of training to the fullest. We will go to Las Vegas for nine weeks, where I will be with my coaches. Khan is a good fighter and the fight will be tough. I can only say that I am eager to capture the entire title, and I will."