MacKinnon Has "Improved Dramatically" After Surgery
Boxer Daniel MacKinnon has "improved dramatically" in his recovery from emergency surgery after his defeat in a brutal light heavyweight bout.
MacKinnon was rushed to Waikato Hospital on Saturday after losing to Robbie Berridge in a contest in which both fighters were knocked down, with MacKinnon hitting the canvas three times.
On the night, manager Ken Reinsfield feared for his boxer's life.
In a condition update on Wednesday, Reinsfield said McKinnon's wife, Christina, had told him the 30-year-old continued to amaze with his rapid recovery from brain surgery.
"He's just improved dramatically," he said.
MacKinnon, who was out of the intensive care unit and in a general ward, was able to get out of bed and walk around, and memory and maths tests had produced good results.
Reinsfield said he had been flooded with messages of support, including from the likes of world champion Australian boxer Danny Green.
He said a Facebook page had been set up for people to leave messages or donations, while donations could also be made at Westpac Bank branches.
Fight promoter Duco Events pledged to continue to support MacKinnon in his recovery.
Meanwhile, KidsCan, the nominated charity for another Duco event, the Fight for Life in December, agreed that part of the funds raised from that night's auction would go to the family.
MacKinnon, from Otorohanga, made his professional debut 10 years ago and the bout against Berridge was the 30th of his career.
As to whether it would be his last, Reinsfield said it was a decision for MacKinnon to make, but his own view was that it might be time to retire.
"He's not a young fighter and he's done a lot of things now," he said.
"I think Dan's got a lot to offer in boxing, but perhaps just not as a fighter any more."