by Elisinio Castillo
Unbeaten heavyweight contender Luis "The Real King Kong" Ortiz (27-0, 23 KOs) believes that his next opponent will potentially become former division ruler Wladimir Klitschko.
Ortiz was scheduled to return this coming Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, against Derric Rossy (31-12, 15 KOs) in a ten round contest as part of the Premier Boxing Champions event, but an injury forced him to withdraw from the bout.
The Cuban puncher recently signed on with powerful boxing adviser Al Haymon and his PBC series.
Last week, the fight was canceled after Ortiz suffered a fracture to his finger and his doctor advised him to stay away from training for at least four weeks.
The Cuban puncher, who is the mandatory challenger under the WBA, will wait for the outcome of next Saturday's showdown between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley. The two of them will battle for the vacant WBA title - and the first defense will have to be made against Ortiz.
Ortiz expects Klitschko to bounce back, with his well known jab, against the younger Joshua.
"I'm going to watch the fight calmly. The experience is on Klitschko's side and the area of youth favors Joshua. I think the Ukrainian will be the winner. He's going to use the powerful jab to keep Joshua at bay," Ortiz told George Ebro.
Ortiz vs. Klitschko have a common opponent. In 2015, Klitschko won a lackluster decision over Bryant Jennings - and Ortiz easily knocked Jennings out in the same year.
"[Klitschko] is going to have to prepare a lot [to fight me]. I've got a hunger for glory that seems like I haven't been eating for 100 years," Ortiz said.
"I want to fight for that belt already, as soon as possible. I have no choice but to keep getting ready and stay prepared for when that time comes. It's going to happen - I have no doubt."