Contender Luis “El Artesano” Cruz will make his return to Puerto Rico after almost two years on March, 23, at the Ruben Zayas Montañez Coliseum in Trujillo Alto, as part of the new edition of the UniMas Solo Boxeo Tecate, that will have in separate fights, the undefeated Jonathan “Bomba” Gonzalez and Felix “Diamante” Verdejo, in a PR Best Boxing Promotions (PRBBP) presentation in association with Top Rank.
“With the addition of Luis Cruz, we have completed this show. We will show eight bouts in this card with world contenders like Gonzalez and Cruz, and prospects like Verdejo and John Karl Sosa among other good young fighters in Trujillo Alto on March 23”, PRBBP President Ivan Rivera said.
Cruz (20-2, 16 KOs), who doesn’t fight in Puerto Rico since April, 2011, when he beat Martin Honorio, will face Edward Valdez (12-9-2, 9 KOs) in a bout scheduled to eight rounds in 138 pounds. Cruz is coming off a lost against Mexican Jose Felix Jr. on September, 2012.
In the main event, Bomba Gonzalez (11-0, 10 KOs) will fight against Joseph Rios (13-7-2, 4 KOs) in a 10 rounds and 113 pounds bout. In his last fight, Gonzalez, ranked #12 by the WBO in the flyweights, ended in a “no decision” result against Omar Salado on February 2, when in the first round Gonzalez hit Salado with an unintentional right hook on the back of his head, and the Mexican couldn’t continue the fight. Rios is an experienced boxer who never had been knocked out.
Also, Diamante Verdejo (3-0, 2 KOs) is going to face Andre Ramos (1-0, 1 KOs) in a junior lightweight and four rounds bout. Verdejo come off a third round TKO over Jose Santiago on February 2. He debuted on December, 2012, with a decision win over Leonardo Chavez in Las Vegas and then on January 19, 2013, scored a first round KO victory over Tomi Archambault.
In six rounds fights, prospect John Karl Sosa (5-0, 4 KOs) will face Samuel “Sammito” Santana (5-7-2) in a 143 pounds bout; in 140 pounds, Osenohad “Cano” Vazquez (6-1-1, 2 KOs) will fight against Pascali “Gato” Adorno (10-8-3, 4 KOs), and Rafael “El Pollo Blanco” Gonzalez (8-1, 6 KOs) will fight versus Regino Canales (5-3, 2 KOs) in a 135 pounds bout.
Scheduled to four rounds Jeffrey Ramos (3-0, 2 KOs) will face Christopher Rivera (4-12, 4 KOs) in 135 pounds, and Bernard Lebron will debut against Nataniel Vazquez (0-1) in 142 pounds.
Tickets for this show are availables at Ticketcenter ( www.tcpr.com ) calling 1 787 792-5000. Prices are $18 and $33.
Ricky Hatton: "Sergey Rabchenko will be a world champion"
RICKY HATTON believes his charge Sergey Rabchenko will be firing on all cylinders again when he defends his European light-middleweight crown against Adriano Nicchi in Monte Carlo on March 30.
Rabchenko, 26, had looked like a world beater in defeating the likes of Bradley Pryce and Ryan Rhodes, but was a little off top form against France's Cedric Vitu last time out.
'The Hitman', though, says the Belarusian puncher will back to his devastating best later this month.
"Sergey was a bit disappointed he didn't perform to the standard he expects against Vitu, but there were reasons for that," Ricky explained.
"He was supposed to box in France and the fight got cancelled so he had to train an extra four weeks and unfortunately with him boxing on my comeback so show I couldn't work the corner so he was a little bit lacklustre.
"I'm sure he'll put that right in Monte Carlo because every time he comes in to the gym he's a level higher than he was before and so far he's really blown my mind with how he's performing and improving.
"Sergey has been all over his sparring partners, stepping across quicker, making the ring look smaller and the mistakes he made in the Vitu fight he'll certainly put right in this fight."
As well as putting his European title on the line, Rabchenko is also risking his lofty ranking with the WBC against the Italy's Nicchi.
Currently he is rated as the number two light-middleweight on the planet by the Mexico City-based sanctioning body and Ricky believes his shot at the top spot is fast approaching.
"Sergey is in a position where I think after his next two or three fights me and his manager will want him fighting for a world title," he said.
"He's number two with the WBC so he's most certainly knocking on the door now.
"It's sometimes frustrating for me as his trainer and promoter because I see the potential he's got but it's my job to hold him back and wait for the right time to come and when that does come, believe me he'll be a world champion."
Olympic silver medalist John Joe Nevin and European champion Joe Ward have been named on a powerful looking British Lionhearts side for the first leg of their World Series of Boxing Team Championships quarter-final with Mexico Guerreros at York Hall, London.
Tags: Luis Cruz , Ricky Hatton , Sergey Rabchenko
Belfast’s Conrad Cunmmings lines out for the visitors.
The Holy Trinity BC middleweight faces Aston Brown in the English capital.
The March 22 showdown will have a distinctly “four-nations” feel about it as boxers from Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales will be between the ropes at the iconic London venue.
Ward, currently ranked No. 3 in the WSB Individual rankings, will be aiming to rack up his fifth WSB victory from six outings versus fellow southpaw Christian Demaj.
Nevin, who helped Paris United win out the inaugural 2010/11 WSB Team Championships trophy, is in against experienced WSB campaigner Fernando Alverez-Diaz.
Both sides meet in the return leg in Mexico on March 29.
Tickets prices start at £20 and can be purchased at www.britishlionhearts.com/tickets or on the door at York Hall.