Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Lucian Bute-Carl Froch: Next Best Fight Is Good Enough

By Jake Donovan

The gap between May 5 and June 9 is long enough even if it were loaded with relevant boxing in between. The fact that there is next to nothing to get the audience eager in the time between Floyd Mayweather’s win over Miguel Cotto and Many Pacquiao’s pending showdown with Tim Bradley makes it that much tougher to bear.

For that, we should be grateful that Lucian Bute and Carl Froch were so willing to face one another.

Yes, there are those who wished that Bute was instead facing Andre Ward, the current lineal super middleweight king and the winner of the Showtime Super Six World Boxing Classic. That was the plan from the moment Showtime inked Bute to a three-fight deal last year.

Two fights are already in the books, as Bute was showcased on the network in wins over Brian Magee and Super Six semifinalist Glen Johnson. Both bouts took place last year and Bute was also on hand for the Super Six finals to see who his next opponent would be.

Little did he know, Ward would call an audible at the post-fight press conference to mess up plans.

“I was in line to fight the winner of the Super Six,” Bute (30-0, 24KO) points out. “For a different reason, Ward refuses to fight me and I kind of respect his decision. So, I made a choice. I said I’m going to fight Carl Froch.”

The announcement was a bit of a surprise, but only due to the intangibles surrounding the event. Froch (28-2, 20KO) had spent the past two years and change facing the best super middleweights in the world. It was hardly surprising that – following the heartbreaking loss to Ward – he would be eager to prove himself as quickly as possible.

The shock came in two parts. First was the announcement from Showtime that it would pass on the fight, which would’ve been the third and final of the three-fight agreement between Bute and the network. The working theory is that Showtime prefers for the final fight to be Bute versus the actual Super Six winner, not the runner up.

Still, the decision comes across as spiteful more than practical. If one versus is two isn’t available – especially when number one is out of the mix due to an injury and other reasons – then there is no shame in presenting two versus three in the meantime. It only makes a head-on collision between the winner and Ward that much bigger of an event.

Showtime felt otherwise, which left the event handlers to search for another network. Fortunately they didn’t have to wait long or look very far, as new kid on the block EPIX was more than happy to pick up the fight, which will air live this weekend on its premium network, as well as its website (EpixHD.com) and on the big screen in the middle of Times Square in New York City (Saturday, 6PM ET/3PM PT).

The greater surprise came in the location of the fight.

Froch gained an audience largely due to the exposure gained from the Super Six. Yet, his fan base pales in comparison to that of Bute, who regularly plays to sold out crowds in his adopted Montreal hometown.

Given the economics, it speaks that much louder of Bute’s confidence that the unbeaten southpaw would be eager to travel abroad. The fight takes place at the Nottingham Arena in Froch’s hometown of Nottingham, UK. A huge crowd is expected to be on hand but there stands to reason that there was more money to be made for Froch to travel to North America.

As far as Bute is concerned, making the fight happen was far more important than where it would take place or which network would be airing it.
 
“We made (Froch) an offer to come to Montreal. He turned it down,” Bute insists. “And maybe he was right saying that he was away from home for a while.  He wanted to fight at home.  So, we just told his promoter to make us an offer. We’re going to go defend the belt in your place (England) and we’ll prove everybody wrong that I’m only fighting in Montreal. So, I have to go out to prove myself.”

Bute has proven himself for the past several years, though yet to do so against anyone on the level of Froch. In fact, the lone criticism in his career was that it hadn’t advanced very far as he took on a series of stay busy fights while Froch and his Super Six participants spent the past two years fighting the best super middleweights in the world.

Nobody would have blamed Froch for instead searching for a layup for his next fight. The former two-time titlist arguably had the roughest path of anyone in the Super Six – his five total fights took place in four different countries.

Last year’s bouts with Ward and Glen Johnson took place in the United States. A systematic thrashing of Arthur Abraham was staged in Finland (after originally being scheduled for Monaco), seven months after traveling to the lion’s den in Denmark to face Mikkel Kessler. The lone home bout Froch saw was in his Stage One showdown against Andre Dirrell, in which the Brit won by narrow split decision.

Not only was a homecoming long overdue, but would have certainly been forgivable if it came against a much-needed soft touch.

Instead, Froch is anxious to prove he still belongs at the top level of the division.

“I want to secure my legacy by beating Lucian Bute,” Froch states. “I’m a step closer towards securing that legacy. And that’s what I want. So, I’m taking this fight so serious.  I’m so confident and I need to be at my best to win. And what an opportunity to my hometown fans in Nottingham; it’s pretty much all on my terms in being in Nottingham, England.”

Winning the negotiation hardly equates winning the fight itself. Froch still has to go into the ring and prove himself against a fighter currently ranked higher in any set of objective rankings. For as much as has been accomplished in the 34-year old’s career to date, a signature win is still lacking.

“People can think what they like on the Ward loss, and they can think OK I lost a close spot to Kessler. People can say what they want.  All I know is I’ve been training hard, hard.  I’m fit, I’m strong and I’m ready for this fight.  I’m looking forward to it and I cannot wait.”

Neither can true fans of the sport.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by ChestRockwell on 05-23-2012

I don't care about Andre Ward or his fights. He is boring and I'm tired of his "I'm humble and respectful sportsman" persona. You're from Oakland dickhead. Quit trying to fool everyone. F*ck you Showtime.

Comment by JakeNDaBox on 05-23-2012

[QUOTE=The Weebler II;12160915]Jean Pascal?[/QUOTE] fair point, though Pascal wasn't really proven at the time. Kind of like how Roy's win over BHop in '93 never really rated until well after the fact.

Comment by Scott Dennett on 05-23-2012

Edwin Rodriquez (IBF#3) deserves to be considered for a title eliminator fight. Froch - Bute is the money fight agreed, but the IBF has to put Rodriquez into the next (12) month schedule of either winner.

Comment by Rapid Counter on 05-23-2012

Bute takes this in my opinion. If anyone fancies a bet message me

Comment by Bushbaby on 05-23-2012

All I have to do is figure out how to watch it stateside. Now while i'm more a fan of Froch than Bute, I still respect Bute for going to Froch's place to fight. After all he is the bigger…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (8)
Top Headlines Lara's Coach: Canelo Does Not Have The Style To Beat Golovkin Angel Garcia: Danny Could Ruin Thurman's Career, Like Matthysse's Daily Bread Mailbag: Mayweather-Ali, Cotto-Kirkland, Jack, More Judge Sets Down Terms To Lift Ban on Edwin Valero Movie Nicola Adams Leaves Team GB Boxing Setup, Free To Pursue Other Opportunities Steve Goodwin Updates on Stable, Looks Ahead, Reflects on 2016 Eubank Jr: DeGale is One of The Best at 168? That's Embarrassing! Golovkin's Coach on The Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Catch-Weight Randy Caballero To Return on March 23 on ESPN Card "Fighting Words" - Angel Garcia to Blame, Though We Enabled Him Abel Sanchez: Maybe It Could Be Golovkin-Chavez, Canelo-Jacobs Puerto Rico Commission To Investigate Vazquez Jr. Pay Claims Shawn Porter Tabs Santa Cruz To Beat Frampton in Rematch Chocolatito: All Rungvisai Has is a Punch, It Won't Be That Difficult Klitschko Coach Says Everyone Will Be Shocked After Joshua Fight Nacho: Juan Manuel Marquez Has Not Retired, Wants To Fight Memo: Chavez Jr. Will Be Stronger, No Weight Issues For Canelo Thurman-Garcia: Narvaez vs. Rodriguez Clash is Eyed For Card Rob Brant Stops Alexis Hloros in First at Grand Casino in Hinckley Canelo vs. Chavez is a Fight Boxing Needed, Says De La Hoya David Haye: Chris Eubank Jr. is a Force, He Will Go All The Way Canelo vs. Chavez: Positive Talks Ongoing With MGM, Jerry Jones Conlan Hopes For 'Dream Fight' With Carl Frampton in The Future Top Rank Prez Eyes Deontay Wilder vs. Joseph Parker Unification Jacobs: Most Guys are Beaten Mentally When They Face Golovkin Frampton Expects Rematch With Leo Santa Cruz To Be Easier Tomoki Kameda Returns To Japan on March 10, Faces Tawatchai Carl Greaves Looks Back On 2016, Is Excited About 2017 Jermell Charlo, Gary Russell Mandatory Double Eyed For March 11 De La Hoya: Canelo Beating Chavez Jr. Will Not Satisfy The Critics Cedric Vitu Retains EBU Title, Decisions Isaac Real in Levallois Horn Warns Pacquiao, Top Rank Not To Look Beyond April Fight Angel Garcia, Mayweather Tarnished What Should've Been Good Week for Boxing WBA Champ Ortiz Wins Decision Over Ramos in Mexico City Robert Garcia: Canelo Has A lot More To Lose in Chavez Jr. Bout Hairon Socarras Training Hard in Miami For February 3 Return Zab Judah Returns, Blasts Out Munguia in Two Rounds Jose Pedraza Confident That He Will Return Strong at Lightweight Javier Fortuna Ready - Targets Sosa, Corrales, Lomachenko Alvarez vs. Chavez Rematch is Being Planned For March 11
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement