Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Lopez: Golden Boy Screwed Up Announcing Canelo-Ortiz

By Jake Donovan

A conference call held by Golden Boy Promotions on Tuesday afternoon confirmed the news that most had already begun to whisper – Saul Alvarez’ opponent on September 15 will be Victor Ortiz.

In order for Ortiz to keep the date alive, he first needs to survive his currently scheduled June 23 fight with Josesito Lopez, which airs live on Showtime from the Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles.

Lopez was in the gym preparing for next week’s fight – which he accepted in a replacement capacity after Andre Berto tested positive for traces of nandrolone in his system - when he heard about the September 15 plans.

The news was… well, news to Lopez, who didn’t understand the urgency in making the announcement while Ortiz still has a dangerous test in front of him.

“I think it’s a screw up by Golden Boy for making the announcement,” Lopez believes. “It’s not only disrespectful to me, but something that can wait.”

Neither Lopez nor anyone in his camp took much offense to the news and in fact initially joked about the announcement shortly after learning of the future plans in place.

“When Jose walked into the gym today, I asked him what he was doing on September 15,” commented Henry Ramirez, Lopez’ trainer. “He asked why and I told him that we should go check out Canelo fight Victor. We both laughed about, but his focus remains on June 23 and I’m sure Victor Ortiz is training hard for the fight as well.”

Both Lopez and Ortiz enter the June 23 fight on the heels of a nine-month layoff. In fact, both last fought on the same card last September. Lopez dropped a controversial decision to Jessie Vargas in the opening bout of a pay-per-view broadcast capped by Ortiz’ 4th round knockout loss to Floyd Mayweather.

Ortiz was scheduled to face Berto this past February in a highly anticipated rematch to their thriller last April. Meanwhile, Lopez saw a couple of fights fall through before settling on a fight to take place in late June.

Those plans changed after Berto was forced to withdraw from the rescheduled rematch, leaving an opportunity for Lopez which he quickly grabbed.

“We didn’t think twice about it,” Ramirez recalls of the day he received the call. “I didn’t even hear the financial offer. All I asked was that as long as they take care of us, we’ll be ready even though it meant moving up to 147.”

Lopez actually enjoys carrying around the extra weight. At 5’10”, the last few days of training camp can be taxing while attempting to squeeze down to the 140 lb. limit. Heading into the biggest fight of his career, Lopez actually feels refreshed after having already prepared for another fight.

“I was in training early, so training and conditioning wise, I’m not worried about next week,” Lopez says. “We just had to switch preparation from a right-handed fighter to a lefty. I usually have to keep my weight down, so keeping it on is a nice change. I feel a lot stronger at 147.”

Whether he feels strong enough to pull off the upset remains to be seen. While Lopez is the underdog, he’s never been dominated in a fight, which makes it that much more of a risk for an opponent to book in advance.

“I’ve never counted my chickens before they hatch. I don’t even plan an after party for my fights,” Lopez insists. “My focus is on Victor Ortiz. I’m not even looking an hour past the main event on June 23. I just focus on the fight. Anything else, I can just plan afterward. I’m not going in as a replacement, I’m going in there to shock the world. I know what Victor brings to the table. It’s less about what Victor can do and more about what I need to do to win.”

Golden Boy revealed on the call that Lopez is an possible alternate for the Alvarez fight should he win next Saturday, but wouldn’t say more than that. Lopez’ handlers actually bring up another possibility.

“We have a rematch clause, so I guess whether it’s an Ortiz fight again or a fight with Alvarez, we should plan on sticking around at 147 or higher,” Ramirez joked. “But seriously, we can’t wait for June 23. We’re grateful for the opportunity and can’t wait to upset the odds.”

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxingscene.com. Follow Jake on Twitter: @JakeNDaBox or submit questions/comments to [email protected]

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by 4Corners on 06-14-2012

[QUOTE=EdMon917;12243215]He was getting outworked a bit until Lopez gassed and didn't let his hands go to give up the rounds late in the fight. It was MD or SD right? Vargas-Lopez.[/QUOTE] Yeah it was close, but Vargas is nothing special…

Comment by EdMon917 on 06-14-2012

[QUOTE=4Corners;12243191]Lopez isn't bad, but Ortiz is on another level. I'd be very surprised if Ortiz doesn't dominate and stop this guy. Jessie Vargas was able to out work him, and Jessie Vargas ain't s**t.[/QUOTE] He was getting outworked a bit…

Comment by 4Corners on 06-14-2012

Lopez isn't bad, but Ortiz is on another level. I'd be very surprised if Ortiz doesn't dominate and stop this guy. Jessie Vargas was able to out work him, and Jessie Vargas ain't s**t.

Comment by EdMon917 on 06-14-2012

I wonder how fast he will get knocked out. Predictions?

Comment by millcitymauler on 06-13-2012

[QUOTE=zuldo;12238203]Lopez ur gettin nocked out and so is alvares..ur from LA so are my but u need to chill homes dont emberrsas me...u live covina i live in downtown LA is not far so chill.[/QUOTE]^^^^^ English as a second language???

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (11)
Top Headlines Figueroa-Guerrero, Monaghan-Browne 7/15 at Nassau Coliseum Kell Brook: I'm in a Better Place Than Errol Spence Is, I'll Beat Him Roach Very Worried - Pacquiao Looking Bad in Camp, Sparring Rob Brant Must Consent To N'Dam vs. Murata Rematch Crawford-Diaz Fight Peaked at 1.036M Viewers, Averaged 961K Spence: In Beating Kell Brook I'll Prove That I'm a Top 5 Fighter! Prograis-Diaz Doubleheader Set Down For ShoBox on June 9 George Groves Views Chudinov as Best Chance To Win World Title Brook: This Will Be a Prince Naseem vs. Kevin Kelley Type of Fight Joshua: Klitschko Should Leave on Positive Note, Forget Rematch Sanchez: When Golovkin Goes To 168, Jacobs Will Be Dominant Arum: Pacquiao Wants Purse for Crawford to be Worth the Risk Photos: Manny Pacquiao Continues Hard Grind For Horn Defense Ryan Martin Back at Big Bear, Helping Shafikov For Easter Bout Muhammad Waseem May Land Eliminator in Fall, Says Manager Sugar Ray: Spence Must Use Tactics I Did With Hagler To Beat Brook Amir Khan: Very Few Fighters Can Fill Wembley - I'm One of Them! Beltran: I Should No Problem Getting Green Card After That KO Gary Russell Jr. - If No Unification Next, I Plan To Move Up Thurman: Hard To Be Confident in Brook, He Hasn't Proved It at 147 Berchelt: Miura a True Warrior, Confident I'll Leave With My Belt Juan Manuel Marquez Return Still in Play For July, Says Nacho Team Uzcategui Will Push For No-Contest, Dirrell Rematch Order Ryota Murata Feeling Good About Career Despite Shocking Loss Brook: No Issues With Weight, Close To 147 For Spence Defense ABC Calls For Ban of Dirrell's Trainer Due To Post-Fight Assault Promoter: David Benavidez Will Roll Over Everyone Shelly Vincent Tops Broadway Boxing Card, June 3 Mayweather on Canelo-GGG: May, September Are My Dates Video: Floyd Mayweather, Anthony Joshua Come Together in UK Michael Walsh Eyes Comeback, Set To Return On June 2 Ian Tims vs. Luke Watkins For Vacant Irish Belt, June 10 In Belfast Joshua: Mayweather-McGregor is Bigger With Me on Undercard Adrien Broner To Spend Three Days in Jail For Contempt Charge Groves Admits a Loss To Chudinov Could Be End of His Career Duva: Barrera Was Right on Beterbiev, Smith Deal Easy To Make Agitated Arum: HBO, Showtime Don’t Own the Boxing Business! Mayweather Confident He Would School Golovkin in 'Easy' Fight Big Changes at 108: BoxingScene Ratings Update Frankie Gavin To Return, June 3 In Scotland
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement