Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Leon Williams-The Conqueror: Reviewing The York Clash

By John Hargate

The long-awaited showdown between former British cruiserweight champion Leon “Solid” Williams, and current Southern Area cruiserweight champion Tony “The Conqueror” Conquest, takes place at the York Hall in Bethnal Green on Saturday 7th July for the latter’s Southern Area title.

BoxingScene spoke to Tony Conquest, who revealed that his injuries are behind him, and that he is in perfect shape for this intriguing dust-up between friends in which niceties will play no part.  The 27-year-old Conquest brings an undefeated 8-0 (2) record to the ring and is confident that he can add the man they call ‘Solid’ to his list of victims, despite a first round blow-out loss in the amateurs at the hands of Williams, 9-4 (4).

“I’m just approaching it like I would any other fight,” said a relaxed Conquest. “Leon is going to do what Leon always does. He’s going to come out and try and be the on-top fighter. He doesn’t care who’s in front of him – he’ll come out and try and knock’em out quick. So, for me, it’s about just switching on my boxing brain. I’ve boxed friends in the amateurs before, so that hasn’t really got a bearing on the fight what-so-ever.”

He continued: “People don’t give Leon a lot of credit. They say he’s one dimensional and he does the same thing over and over, but if you study him, turn the sound off and just watch what he does, he’s better than what people give him credit for.”

There have been rumours and rumblings on the notoriously unreliable boxing grapevine that Conquest had pulled out of two previously scheduled meetings with Williams, not because of injuries as Conquest had claimed, but rather because he didn’t fancy the job after his amateur knockout defeat.

Conquest laughed such suggestions off. “There’s no truth to that. I’m a fighter at the end of the day. I fight. That’s what I do. I get in the ring and fight - it doesn’t matter who I’m in against. I mean, I’ve lost other amateur fights, to real top amateurs and I’ve got right back in there with them and beaten them.”

Becoming serious for a moment, Tony eschewed the bluff and bravado exhibited by many fighters and spoke poignantly about the concept of fear inside the ring. “Obviously there’s fear in every fighter,” he said. “I’m scared of every fight. Everyone is, if you’re not you’re insane or there’s something wrong medically wrong with you.”

Turning the focus back again to the Williams fight, Conquest made a clear distinction between the general fear every fighter experiences, and the idea of being scared of a specific opponent. “There’s no fear factor here,” he stated forcefully. “I’ll get in there and do what I do every time.”

“It’s the right fight,” Tony enthused. “Perfect timing – despite us both being out of the ring for a good few months each. He’s obviously lost his last one [to Shane McPhilbin], but he’s a former Southern Area and British Champion. If I do a real good job here, and look good doing it, what’s in line next? I’m not looking past Leon, I mean I can’t do that, it’d be stupid to, but you never know what could be given to you next. Hopefully the winner of me and Leon will be straight in the mix.”

I asked if the injury problems that’d kept Tony out of the ring in recent times were fully behind him? “It was just unfortunate before. The first time I was meant to box him I can’t remember if it was my hand or my knee [Conquest has suffered injuries to both hands and had knee ligament damage in the past], and the second time I had a perfect opportunity at a shot at the British Title, and I got shingles. It’s actually scarred my face a little bit, so people saying I pulled out because I’m a bottle job or whatever, they can have a look at my face! I’m in perfect shape. No excuses, just fit and ready to fight.”

It is a crying shame that this cracking Olivia Goodwin promoted showdown is not being televised. During a fabulous weekend of British fights this could well turn out to be one of the best. Williams, from Streatham, is almost certain to come out of the traps fast and try and shake Conquest up, hoping to resurrect any lurking demons he may have from their amateur fight. If Tony can weather the storm, he ought to be able to jab and move from his switch-hitting stance, racking up points with his accurate left hand in particular. Conquest mustn’t allow himself to be drawn into a toe-to-toe battle, but if he can avoid that trap and stop Williams from setting himself - especially early doors - then I believe Conquest has enough about him to take the fight on the judge’s cards.

Tickets for this decent card, which includes the fascinating rematch between Thamesmead’s slick Nathan Wiese and Northolt’s hard-hitting Ryan Toms for the Southern Area light middleweight title, can be bought from: http://www.goodwinpromotions.co.uk/tickets.php?pageID=6

Tags: Tony Conquest image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Post a Comment - View More User Comments (0)
Top Headlines Early Results Are In: BoxingScene Ratings Update Linares vs. Crolla II Card - Tomi Tatham To Face Liam Conroy Lewis Crocker To Make Pro Debut on February 18th in Belfast Horn: Pacquiao Has Been Knocked Out Before, I Have The Power! Brook Frustrated By Khan, Admits a Lack of Motivation for Spence Conlan Expects Army of Irish Fans To Hit NY For Pro Debut Card Ricardo Mayorga Was Motivated By His Family To Resume Career De La Hoya: Chavez Will Not Be Easy For Canelo, It's a Big Concern Danny Roman Stops Adam Lopez in Ninth To Win WBA Eliminator De La Hoya: Donald Trump Refused To Come To Canelo's Fight Wilder Hopes The WBC Comes Down on Alexander Povetkin Stevenson Wants to Face Smith in NY; 4/29 Negotiations Ongoing Errol Spence Stays Ready in The Gym as IBF Scenario Plays Out WBC Reacts To Behavior, Controversial Comments By Angel Garcia Sullivan Barrera Accepts Artur Beterbiev IBF Eliminator WBA President Gives Status on Heavyweights, PED Testing, More Luis Ortiz vs. Jarrell Miller Could Top First Matchroom Card in U.S. Video: Michael Conlan Discusses His Pro Debut in March Joshua Coming To America, as Hearn Begins Build To Wilder Fight Felix Diaz Dares Crawford: Fight a Real Challenge, I'll Go To Omaha! Cotto vs. Kirkland, Lemieux vs. Stevens Land on BoxNation Photos: Anthony Mundine, Tim Tszyu Putting in Work Photos: Haye, Schaefer Hold Presser To Announce Their UK Deal Erislandy Lara-Yuri Foreman Card Generates 547,000 Viewers Photos/Weights: Patrick Nielsen, Dina Thorslund Ready For Bouts David Haye, Richard Schaefer Team Up, Launch Hayemaker Ringstar Froch: Smith is Not Ready For DeGale, Should Face Dirrell First Pedro Diaz on N'Dam's Big KO Win, Golovkin vs. Jacobs, Gamboa Luis Ortiz: Miller Will Have To Back Up The Crap He's Talking Adonis Stevenson: Unfair Haters Call All of My Opponents 'Bums' Danny Garcia: Not Worried About Critics Who Won't Say it to My Face Eubank Jr: In a Rematch I Would Annihilate Saunders in Four! Pacquiao: In The Eyes of The People - I Beat Floyd Mayweather Andrew Selby Faces Diale For WBC Regional on Eubank-Quinlan Wilkins, Karkardi To Appeal BBBofC Bans Over Nick Blackwell Manny Pacquiao: I Would Fight Conor McGregor - Only in Boxing De La Hoya Worried: Chavez Jr. Could Derail Canelo-Golovkin Plan Danny Garcia on Father's Racial Jabs: I've Heard Trump Say Worse! The Return of Zab Judah Ricardo Mayorga Holds Press Conference, Reveals April 1 Return
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement