By Rey Colon & Rick Reeno
A potential deal for Cristian Mijares to face WBC super bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz (25-0-1, 15 KO's) on November 2 has fallen through. Golden Boy Promotions had been trying to make the deal with Mijares and his team but there were several snags in the negotiations.
Multiple sources have advised BoxingScene.com that a deal is now close for Santa Cruz to defend his title against hard-hitting Cesar Seda (25-1, 17 KO's) on December 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The fight would be part of the Showtime Pay-Per-View, with Marcos "Chino" Maidana (34-3, 31 KO's) challenging Adrien Broner (27-0, 22 KO's) for the WBA welterweight title in the main event.
"The fight has been agreed upon and we just need to get the contract to sign. It's a pay per view event and there will be four fights televised and one of them is Santa Cruz and my son]," said Cesar Seda Sr., father and trainer of the Puerto Rican boxer.
Seda was going to fight on October 26th in Atlantic City as part of the Bernard Hopkins-Karo Murat undercard, but has now withdrawn from that bout in order to concentrate on this big opportunity with Santa Cruz.
"We decided to cancel. We will not take a risk. That fight with Santa Cruz is tough, for a world title and have to go in with everything. He is one of the two best at 122 pounds in the world. He has a style that will compliment my son. Not like the fight when we fought in Argentina with [Omar] Narvaez. [Santa Cruz] comes forward and [my son] will fight much better with him. My son is much stronger at 122 than he was at 118 pounds," Seda Sr. said.
Tags: Cesar Seda , Cristian Mijares , Leo Santa Cruz , Santa Cruz-Seda , Santa Cruz vs. Seda