On Saturday night at the SSE Arena at Wembley in London, Britain's Lee Selby defended his International Boxing Federation (IBF) world featherweight belt with a unanimous points decision against Argentine challenger Jonathan Victor Barros four days after the death of his mother.
The 30-year-old Welshman -- who has held the title since 2015 -- emerged the winner of a gripping bout with the three judges scoring 119-108, 117-110, 117-110 after 12 rounds.
Selby had been hailed as a "brave young man" by his manager Jamie Sanigar for not withdrawing after his mum Frankie passed away on Tuesday.
The loss of his mother is not the first time tragedy has struck Selby as his older brother Michael drowned nine years ago, leading the boxer to go "on a binge of drugs and drinking" before turning his life around.
And Selby, who felled Barros with a left hook in the last round, said after the fight: "It doesn’t seem real. I told my team to pretend nothing has happened. I turned my phone off.
"If I told people what I was thinking I’d be in a straight jacket. No (never thought about not fighting), I’m a fighter. Nothing phases me in the ring. I’ve got the best cut man in the business."
The fight with Barros was originally scheduled to take place back in January at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, but it was canceled on the day of the weigh-in after Barros failed a medical exam.
Now Selby has his sights on former WBA World featherweight champion Carl Frampton, who was sitting at ringside and watching the fight.
After years of being unable to reach an agreement, Selby believes Frampton is game to take the fight. Both boxers are advised by Al Haymon and fight under the Premier Boxing Champions banner.
“Frampton probably fancies it after that [win I had over Barros],” added Selby. “It’s a fight I would absolutely love.”