Kubrat Pulev To Stay Busy While The IBF Sorts Things Out
By Rick Reeno
As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek (48-2, 29 KOs) has decided to withdraw from an ordered IBF final eliminator with Kubrat Pulev (17-0, 9 KOs). Adamek issued a statement earlier to explain his reasons for pulling away from the Kubrat opportunity. The winner of the eliminator would become the mandatory challenger to unified champion Wladimir Klitschko.
The decision is odd, because Adamek took part in the IBF's four man elimination tournament, and knew ahead of time that he would facing the winner of Pulev and Alexander Ustinov. Adamek won a controversial split decision over Steve Cunningham in the first part of the IBF's tournament, while Pulev knocked Ustinov out in second half of the four man tournament.
“I have been offered an opportunity to fight in Poland for far more money than I would get for fighting Kubrat Pulev,” Adamek said in a statement released Wednesday by his co-promoter, Main Events. “Meaning no disrespect to Pulev, he has never held a major title and never headlined a televised card. Any money generated by the promotion would, for the most part, be generated by my popularity. I owe it to my family to engage in the most financially rewarding bouts, and engaging in a bout with Kubrat Pulev at this time simply does not make financial sense.”
Chris Meyer, the General Manager for Kubrat's promoter Sauerland Event, plans to keep his boxer busy. No decision has been made on whether or not Pulev will be ordered to face another opponent in a new mandatory eliminator or if the IBF plans to make him the mandatory challenger due to Adamek's withdrawal.
"We were looking forward to the match and were very optimistic to get a good deal and promotion done together with Main Events. However, as Mr Adamek preferred to take an easier route we can not help it; we wish him well. We will now look as to whether the IBF will find a worthy and available contender in order to fight Pulev in a final eliminator. We would prefer now to arrange a defense of the EBU belt for Kubrat," Meyer told BoxingScene.com.
[QUOTE=Freedom.;13031676]According to a Polish website and other sources in Europe, the IBF has decided Adamek will be replaced by Bryant Jennings. [url=http://www.ringpolska.pl/boks-na-swiecie/waga-ciezka-boks/24614-jennings-zastapi-adamka-w-walce-z-pulewem]Jennings zastąpi Adamka w walce z Pulewem?[/url] and here: [url]http://boxingnews.com.ua/ru/novosti/4569-adameka-v-boju-s-pulevym-mozhet-zamenit-dzhennings[/url][/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Mikhnienko;13031682]Its speculation hence the question mark at the end…Comment by ddangerous on 02-14-2013
Pulev got Adamek shook.Comment by BostonGuy on 02-14-2013
[QUOTE=Freedom.;13034501]Looks like Pulev will be defending his EBU (European) heavyweight title in March or April: [url]http://www.ringpolska.pl/boks-na-swiecie/waga-ciezka-boks/24648-pulew-wiosna-bedzie-bronil-pasa-ebu[/url][/QUOTE] Good to hear that Pulev is staying busy; all too often a guy earns a top ranking and then sits on the sidelines indefinitley…Comment by Freedom. on 02-14-2013
Looks like Pulev will be defending his EBU (European) heavyweight title in March or April: [url]http://www.ringpolska.pl/boks-na-swiecie/waga-ciezka-boks/24648-pulew-wiosna-bedzie-bronil-pasa-ebu[/url]Comment by joe strong on 02-14-2013
too bad this fight won't happen. i think pulev wins but still would have have been neat to watch. again another potential great fight is put on hold for business reasons. someone pointed out he could wait for the arreola\stiverne…Post a Comment - View More User Comments (11)