by Ronnie Nathanielsz
In a move that was expected to happen after a couple of months of soured relations, Richard Schaefer has quit Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.
In an official statement Schaefer said “After more than ten years with Golden Boy, it is time to move on to the next chapter of my career. This decision has required a great deal of personal reflection , but ultimately I concluded that I have no choice but to leave,“ The former CEO said “I have succeeded in banking and I have succeeded in boxing, and I look forward to the next opportunity.”
Despite his leaving Golden Boy Promotions, Schaefer said he is “proud to remain a shareholder, so I have strong interest in the continued success of the company. I am proud of what I have accomplished at Golden Boy, but I now look forward to new challenges” even as he added that there would be no further comments at this time.”
De La Hoya had, in recent months reached out to premier promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank in an effort to mend bridges and work together in the interest if boxing and it didn’t sit well with Schaefer.
Arum who steered De La Hoya’s career to remarkable heights had previously welcomed De La Hoya’s conciliatory attitude and indicated he is willing to work together with him. He said he had spoken to De La Hoya about plans to work together but there was nothing specific.
While many of Golden Boy Promotions fighters have apparently signed up with Al Haymon, he still has some exciting fighters in his fold and it opens up the possibility of fights between Arum’s top fighters including “Fighter of the Decade” Manny Pacquiao and five division world champion Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire and Golden Boy boxers.
Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz took a measured response to the announced move by Schaefer. He told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard - “lets see what happens. How many fighters does Golden Boy have. We don’t know.”
When the Standard mentioned that Golden Boy had Danny Garcia and there was a possibility that Pacquiao could move down to light welterweight to fight Garcia, Koncz said “we haven’t made any decision yet” on Pacquiao’s next fight scheduled for Macau on November 22.
Tags: Michael Koncz , Oscar De La Hoya , Richard Schaefer , Golden Boy Promotions