Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Koncz Meets With Arum: Pacquiao Likely To Accept Deal

By Lem Satterfield

Michael Koncz believes that eight-division titlist Manny Pacquiao is likely to accept the terms and sign for what stands to be his largest, career pay day and a third bout opposite 37-year-old WBA and WBO lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez in defense of Pacquiao's WBO belt on Nov. 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Pacquiao's adviser told BoxingScene.com on Wednesday night.

Koncz made his assertion within an hours after a nearly three-hour dinner meeting at Los Angeles' Palms Steak House that may have finalized the deal with Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who earlier in the day had secured the signature Marquez (52-5-1, 38 knockouts) accepting the fight.

"The meeting with Bob Arum went very well. We discussed the purse for Manny, and I think that it's something that perhaps Manny will accept," said Koncz, who will bring the terms to Pacquiao in his native Philippines for a decision that could come as early as next week.

"Obviously, it's still up to Manny," said Koncz. "I mean, I think that we're right where we need to be, but like I said, the final decision is up to Manny."

In May of 2004, and, again in March of 2008, Marquez battled through a draw and a split-decision loss, respectively, against Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs), this, despite Marquez' being floored three times in the first round of their initial clash, and, once more, in their second.

Pacquiao-Marquez I  was contested for the WBA and IBF featheweight belts, and Pacquiao-Marquez II, for the WBC super featherweight crown.

"After meeting with Bob, this fight with Marquez has the history and has shown that it can be an exciting fight that can do well," said Koncz.

"Marquez really believes that he can beat Manny," said Koncz. "I mean, many other boxers have had that same belief, but Marquez is the one who has come the closest to doing it twice in a row."

In the third fight, Pacquiao, who turns 33 in December, and Marquez, who turns 38 in August, are expected to face off at a catch-weight of 144-pounds.

In addition, Marquez stands to receive a guaranteed of $5 million plus $5 per home after 850,000 pay-per-view buys, and, in victory, has been guaranteed $10 million dollars for a fourth fight.

In November, Marquez rose from a third-round knockdown to score a ninth-round stoppage over 30-year-old, former interim titlist Michael Katsidis (27-4, 22 KOs).

On May 7, Pacquiao ran his unbeaten streak that includes eight knockouts to 14 consecutive bouts with a unanimous decision over 39-year-old, five-time champion, Shane Mosley (46-7-1, 39 KOs) before a sellout crowd at the MGM Grand, for which he earned a career-best guaranteed $20 million.

Marquez's participation in the trilogy is contingent on his winning a July 2 clash in Mexico City opposite 34-year-old, former lightweight titlist David Diaz (36-3-1, 17 KOs), whom Pacquiao dethroned as WBC lightweight champion by ninth-round knockout in June of 2008.

If everything is finalized, Pacquiao-Marquez III will be televised on pay-per-view either on Showtime or HBO, which was also part of Wednesday night's discussion, Koncz said.

Koncz, Pacquiao and Arum made their first-ever decision to go with Showtime for the Mosley fight rather than with HBO because they saw a major advantage presented by Showtime's ability to televise the multi-part series, Fight Camp 360, the equivalent to HBO's 24/7 -- on CBS, as well as the ability for CBS to reach 115 million homes compared to HBO's 28 million homes.

"One of the things that came up during dinner was which network would be showing the fight," said Koncz, adding that a network has not yet been chosen. "Like I said, we discussed Manny's purse. I mean, there were many discussions that came up."

Since earning the WBO belt with a November, 2009, 12th-round stoppage of current WBA junior middleweight champ Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs), Pacquiao has vanquished Mosley, ex-titlist Joshua Clottey (35-4, 20 KOs) by one-sided unanimous decision in March of 2010, and former belt-holder, Antonio Margarito (38-7, 27 KOs) by lopsided unanimous decision -- the latter for the since relinquished WBC junior middleweight crown.

"I don't want to say that this with Marquez will be the best fight that Manny will have had in the last five because people don't understand that, for example, that the Margarito fight was one of the hardest fights that Manny's ever had," said Koncz.

"Manny has said that to me, but again, because of Manny's abilities, he makes it look so easy. But these fights are not easy. That's just a misconception that people get," said Koncz. "Margarito hit hard and he head hunts and he hurt Manny. But as to this particular fight with Marquez, if Manny accepts it, it should do well. So I will present the terms to Manny, and I think that he will be pleased."

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by j.one on 05-19-2011

[QUOTE=JSS;10565397]Whatever helps you sleep at night dear...Frauds fought last two fights are with two old men that they both fought. One a very old man being Mosley; but Pac was the only one (out of two people - Forrest being…

Comment by tomatocantender on 05-19-2011

Since when has David Diaz been resigned to "tune up" level? Not saying he's a world beater, but this has the makings of JMM overlooking David, squaring up a bit too much, getting too cute in trying to walk David…

Comment by Dempsey-Roll on 05-19-2011

[QUOTE=No Ceilings;10565121]Ducked Floyd again huh.[/QUOTE] floyd needs a tune up lol. if he decides to fight pac on the spot, and loses, you guys will use that as an excuse edit: however, if pac rejects this contract and still doesnt…

Comment by JSS on 05-19-2011

Run fast Prettyboy!!!!!

Comment by JSS on 05-19-2011

[QUOTE=flint;10565318]jss the reason why mayweather can go on vacation as long as he wants to is because he's the only fighter great enough to do it.he actually goes on vacation,comes back,fights who he wants,whoops ass,and get paid.he fights when,how,and where…

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (11)
Top Headlines Alexander Dimitrenko Back on December 22, Adrian Granat Too Sergey Kovalev - From a Single Point to a Question Mark Wilder To Hearn: Add Joshua To Whyte Deal - I'll Whip Their Asses! Video: Kathy Duva Breaks Down HBO Triple, Kovalev's Return Video: Jason Sosa Discusses Yuriorkis Gamboa Showdown Sullivan Barrera to face Sergey Kovalev or Dmitry Bivol in 2018? Farmer Confident of Title Win: None of These Dudes Can Beat Me! Austin Trout: I Would Love To Fight Julian Williams Shabranskyy Sparred With Bivol, Benavidez for Kovalev Fight Video: Yuriorkis Gamboa Discusses Career, Jason Sosa Clash Video: Sergey Kovalev Talks Ward, Shabranskyy, Car Accident David Haye Vows To Recover, To Come Back Strong in 2018 Golovkin Blown Away By Treatment in The Motherland - Mexico Photos: Yuriorkis Gamboa, Jason Sosa - Go Face To Face Photos: Sullivan Barrera, Felix Valera - Square Up in New York City Photos: Kovalev, Shabranskyy - Face To Face at Final Presser Peltz: Sosa-Gamboa Will Be HBO's Fight of the Night Saturday Eubank Sr. Takes a Deep Dig at Groves' Trainer Shane McGuigan Parker Promoter To Hearn: Worry About Joshua's Chin, Not Presser! James Toney To Joshua: Put on Big-Boy Pants, Come Fight in U.S. News: Cornflake LaManna, Blair Cobbs, Liliana Palmera, More Hearn Thinks Parker Promoter is Bonkers After Presser on Joshua Oscar Valdez To Target Carl Frampton Showdown in 2018 Gary Russell Jr: Will Golden Boy Promotions Let Diaz Fight Me? Duva: 'Irrelevant' Stevenson Has No Interest in Fighting Kovalev Eubank Sr: I Don't See How George Groves Will Go The Distance Wanheng Menayothin Goes for 49-0 in Upcoming Defense Pedro Guevara on Shiro Loss: In Mexico I Could've Gotten Decision McCullough, McCarthy, Ward and Crocker Eager For More Nathaniel Gallimore Stays Busy With Knockout Victory Parker: I'll Make Tyson Fury Rich By Knocking Anthony Joshua Out! Agron Smakici: I Want To Fight With Alexander Dimitrenko Pacquiao Fed Up With Politics, Roach Hopes He Stops Boxing Vijender Singh Expects To Face Rocky Fielding in March Shabranskyy Prepared To Do Everything Possible To Beat Kovalev Chocolatito To Return in April or May, Possibly on Canelo-GGG II Rey Vargas Expects Fireworks With Oscar Negrete at MSG Devon Alexander: I'm Ready To Fight Anybody Out There Jermall Charlo vs. Hugo Centeno in Play For WBC Interim-Belt Team Parker Dare 'Glass Chin' Joshua To Accept 65-35 or Else
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement