by Ronnie Nathanielsz
Pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz who handles MP Promotions has made it clear that former world flyweight champion Rodel Mayol is not ready to fight on the Brian Viloria-Omar Nino Romero title fight undercard on May 12 at the Ynares Sports Center in Pasig City.
Solar Sports informed BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard about the inclusion of Mayol being the chief supporting bout against former champion Julio Cesar “Pingo” Miranda of Mexico from whom Viloria won the title at the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu.
Integrated Sports in New Jersey sent us a press release which said “The 10-round co-feature matches a pair of former world champions, Julio Cesar "Pingo" Miranda (37-6-1, 29 KOs) and Rodel "Kid Rapido" Mayol (30-5-2, 22 KOs), in a 10-round bout with future world flyweight title fight implications.
Miranda, rated No. 3 by the WBO and No. 4 by the World Boxing Association ("WBA"), is a Mexican knockout artist who dropped his WBO title fight last year to Viloria. WBC No. 9 and IBF #12 Mayol, a Filipino now living in Los Angeles, lost his WBC Light Flyweight crown, ironically, to Romero in 2010.
Koncz who was with Mayol when he pulled out of the title fight against champion Hernan “Tyson” Marquez over the issue of Marquez being overweight and cheating during the weigh-in said while Mayol “is in great condition he hasn’t even sparred as yet so he won’t be ready to fight on May 12.”
Mayol is training alongside Pacquiao in Baguio City.
“Besides” Koncz added, “nobody from Solar Sports or anybody else has contacted me or spoken to me about a Mayol fight.”
Tags: Michael Koncz , Julio Cesar Miranda , Rodel Mayol