By Kevin Francis, courtesy of The Daily Star
AMIR KHAN and Ricky Hatton are ready to put their friendship aside for a superfight that could sell out Wembley.
The pair could meet in a Battle of Britain tussle next summer with Khan’s manager Asif Vali saying: “It would be huge.”
Hatton will announce his ring return after a three-year absence tomorrow with a fight at the MEN Arena on November 24.
If his comeback is successful, the former two-weight world champ could then move on towards a mouth-watering clash with Khan.
Vali said of 25-year-old former WBA and WBC light-welterweight belt holder Khan: “It would be a massive superfight.
“It could sell 100,000 at Wembley and everyone would want to see it. A fight between Amir and Ricky further down the line would be huge.
“I’ve spoken to Amir about this and, while he and Ricky are good friends, he knows boxing is a business.”
Hatton was a guest at pal Khan’s engagement party and Vali said: “They could put their friendship to one side for 12 weeks to prepare for such a big fight.”
Hatton has not fought since his X-rated second round KO at the hands of Manny Pacquiao in 2009.
The Hitman, who will be 34 next month, retired in July last year but the successful promoter and trainer is now buzzing about his return.
Vali said: “With Ricky coming back, people will inevitably talk about a fight between him and Amir and whether it will happen.
“I’m sure Ricky will be asked that question at his press conference on Friday and if the opportunity for them to fight arises, then who knows?
“Seeing him come back will be great for boxing and British boxing in particular.
“He’s still young, he’s 33, he’s still got it. He’s got that enthusiasm back.
“Mainly, that’s because he is training the young fighters at his gym. That’s fired him up and helped him rediscover his hunger again.
“There will be a lot of questions about Ricky and whether he can still do it. Only he has the answers.”