By Rick Reeno
Richard Schaefer, CEO for Golden Boy Promotions, has advised BoxingScene.com that Amir Khan will not wait around for Lamont Peterson, and he plans to move his career forward. Last month, Peterson captured the WBA/IBF junior welterweight titles from Khan with a controversial twelve round split decision in Washington, DC. The WBA ordered an immediate rematch. Peterson and his team have appealed the organization's ruling.
On Thursday, Peterson's team issued a statement which signaled their desire to wait for the WBA's ruling before making a final decision on their next opponent.
"Right now our efforts are focused on the appeal to the World Boxing Association (WBA). We are patiently awaiting a decision."Once that's done and Lamont is finally in receipt of his WBA belt then we will shift the focus to who he fights next," said a spokesperson for Peterson.
In an effort to make a rematch, Schaefer offered Peterson a career-high $1 million dollars and a 50-50 split on the worldwide revenue. Peterson earned $650,000, his career best, for the first fight.
It's a not exactly a secret that Peterson is a frontrunner to land a March/April fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, has already discussed a possible four-man tournament, with Marquez facing Peterson in March/April and Manny Pacquiao fighting Timothy Bradley on June 9th - and the winners of both fights would collide in November.
Schaefer and Khan's team have made a collective decision to move forward.
"We're not going to wait. We're going to move ahead and we're looking at some alternative options. That's what we're doing. We've been talking to the Khans and their team, yesterday and today, multiple times, and we're looking at some options and moving ahead," Schaefer told BoxingScene.com.
"We're not going to be held hostage here by anything, and its very clear what they want to do. One has to be an idiot not to realize that. They are trying to get a fight with Marquez and then promised a fight with Pacquiao. That's what they are trying to do, so good luck."
Several options are being explored for Khan. There have been some rumblings of a possible welterweight debut against former three division champion Shane Mosley. Schaefer would not confirm or deny any names, but numerous opponents are being considered.
"There are a lot of fighters in this weight class and a lot of possibilities. Team Khan and us, we're looking at all of them," Schaefer said.