Mikkel Kessler has started his rehabilitation after successfully undergoing finger surgery last week. The injury had forced the Viking Warrior (44-2, 33 KOs) to postpone his hotly-anticipated showdown with WBO Super Middleweight Champion Robert Stieglitz (40-2, 23 KOs), which was originally scheduled to take place at PARKEN Stadium in Copenhagen on November 5.
“We will announce the new date in the next two weeks,” promoter Kalle Sauerland said. “The fight is still on and it will definitely be at PARKEN. Due to the global interest and the fact that so many parties and television networks are involved, it has been a challenge to find a new date. What we know is that it will happen in March or April.”
Kessler once again apologised to his fans for the delay. “I am very sorry that the fight could not take place on November 5,” he said.
“I would have loved to enter 2012 as world champion. The injury was a setback on my way back to the top but I have overcome other obstacles before. I was relieved that the surgery went very well. Now I will rest the hand for a couple of weeks. At the same time I will be working on my personal fitness so that I do not have to start from scratch once I can return to full boxing practice. I will be ready to face Stieglitz at PARKEN in early 2012. I can promise my loyal Viking fans that I will make up for the delay in style and become world champion again. 2012 will be a big year for me.”
As soon as the new date for the show at PARKEN has been confirmed, Team Sauerland will make an announcement. All tickets purchased for the original date will remain valid but can be refunded via billetlugen.dk's call center +45 70 263 267. Refunds can be made until three weeks after the announcement of the new date.