by David P. Greisman
Kelly Pavlik’s trial on a charge of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated has been scheduled for May 14, according to online court records.
The Youngstown (Ohio) Vindicator says that Pavlik turned down a plea deal at a pre-trial hearing today (March 17), though the report did not indicate what the deal entailed.
In December, police responded early one morning to a report of a potentially impaired driver on the Ohio Turnpike.
“A trooper spotted Pavlik’s car at the gate trying to exit the turnpike, but Pavlik did not have a pass or ticket on him to exit the toll road,” said the Vindicator’s newspaper report at the time, citing police. “As the trooper questioned Pavlik, he showed signs that he was impaired.”
Pavlik refused a breath test but “was still cited because the trooper had probable cause to believe Pavlik was drunk,” the newspaper reported.
The 31-year-old retired last year after a planned fight with Andre Ward was postponed due to Ward suffering an injury in training camp. His last bout was in July 2012, a decision win over Will Rosinsky. That brought his record to 40-2 with 34 knockouts.
Pick up a copy of David’s new book, “Fighting Words: The Heart and Heartbreak of Boxing,” at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsamazon or internationally at http://bit.ly/fightingwordsworldwide. Send questions/comments via email at email@example.comTags: Kelly Pavlik