By Terence Dooley
Kell Brook's début fight for Matchroom Sports will see the welterweight prospect box in Sheffield for the first time in six years. Kell is boxing in 'The Steel City' on June 25th. The 24-year-old's last fight in his native city saw him post a six round point's win over the late Ernie Smith.
"The most important thing now is to test him. He's begging me for Amir Khan and [WBC welterweight title holder Victor] Ortiz," said Kell's new manager, Eddie Hearn, when speaking to Sky TV's Ringside show.
Brook believes that British rival Amir Khan will soon join him in the welterweight division. The 23-0 (16) stylist feels that Khan should come through him when he moves up in weight, especially if Kell manages to pick up a world title in the intervening period. Brook was ringside for Khan's WBA light-welterweight defence against Paul McCloskey, he believes that 'King' Khan is made for him.
"It was very amateurish, he was missing a lot of shots. The fans didn't get the fight they expected to see. I believe I've got Khan's number, the people around him don't want it, he don't want it. Let's do it over here and give the fans what they want to see," bubbled Brook.
"They are the fights I want to be involved in," he said when reviewing Andre Berto-Victor Ortiz. "That was a very exciting fight to watch but I'd relish a fight with Ortiz. I'd fight any welterweight in the world. I've never avoided any fighter. I want to be amongst them top names."
"Oscar De La Hoya is interested in taking Kell over to America for a fight but first things first. June 25th, home city of Sheffield, defending his WBO Inter-Continental title against a world recognised name," added Hearn, confirming the place and date of Kell's next outing.
Hearn's announcement certainly raised a few eyebrows given that Frankie Gavin's bout with Young Mutley on May 21 was yesterday announced for the same WBO Inter-Continental belt. Matchroom insist that as far as they are concerned Kell holds the strap and will make his third defence of the title on home soil. Dean Powell, matchmaker for Frank Warren Promotion's, told me that "We have got approval from the WBO for them [Gavin and Mutley] to fight for the vacant title," when speaking over the phone earlier this evening.
The WBO's website still has Brook as their WBO Inter-Continental holder, he is also the #2 contender. NABO titlist Mike Jones occupies the number one spot. Manny Pacquiao holds the full WBO title, the Philippine legend defends his title against the organisation's 3rd ranked contender Shane Mosley on May 7.
Certainly, the WBO will have to clear things up in the next day or two. It means that the announcement of Kell's opponent could take on an extra dimension. If he gets either Mike Jones or Shawn Porter, who is currently ranked number 4, then there is every chance that the contest could be made into a WBO title eliminator.
Please send news and views to [email protected]