By Adrian Warren
As we previously reported, two-time WBO interim lightweight champion Michael Katsidis is out of boxing indefinitely and is likely to retire from the sport after undergoing medical tests.
Katsidis, 32, was due to fight Filipino Weng Haya in Melbourne on February 21, but has pulled out of the fight.
"I have got a story to tell and I will be telling it, but right now I need to talk with my family, management as well as medical staff," Katsidis said on Facebook.
He will still attend the promotion and intends to fully explain his situation at that time.
"We got the first round of reports last Friday, it was extremely emotional and yes, grown men were crying," Katsidis's manager Glen Murray told AAP.
"It's fair to say he's out of his fight on February 21, he's out of fighting indefinitely.
"Right today they are still doing second opinions on some medical reports, so we are not in a position really to comment fully about any further information about his future."
Based overseas for several years, Katsidis returned to Australia fulltime in 2012 and recently linked with renowned trainer Johnny Lewis.
Indisputably the most exciting world-class Australian-born boxer of the last decade, Katsidis (28-6, 23 KOs) won legions of fans for his attacking style.
He had several big fights in the United States and was a favourite of their cable television networks.
All bar one of his losses were to world champions.
A series of epic ring wars and a personal tragedy appeared to be taking their toll on the gutsy Queenslander.
He lost four of his last five fights following the death of his brother, successful jockey Stathi Katsidis, in October 2010.
Michael bravely pressed ahead with a huge fight against Juan Manuel Marquez less than two months after Stathi's death and knocked the Mexican superstar down before being stopped in the ninth round.
He lost three of his next four fights, two of them for interim world titles, with his only win coming against Mexican Michael Lozada in his first fight back in Australia in over five years.
As an amateur, Katsidis represented Australia at the 2000 Olympics, before having his first professional bout the following year.
He won his first 23 paid fights and earned national and regional titles despite an enforced eight-month layoff due to an assault conviction in 2002.
Katsidis won his first WBO interim title with a fifth-round stoppage of England's Graham Earl in what was widely considered to be the most exciting fight of 2007.
He suffered his first professional losses to Joel Casamayor and Juan Diaz in 2008, but won his second WBO strap in 2009 with a split points win over Vicente Escobedo.
Murray said Katsidis wanted to remain in the boxing industry in some capacity if he was forced to quit the ring.
He said Katsidis would probably prefer to work in an advisory role with fighters rather than be a fulltime coach and that media work was another option for the articulate and presentable Queenslander.