By Salvador Rodriguez
Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. saw no reason to further drain his body by making the super middleweight limit for Saturday's fight with Bryan Vera at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. The fight was orginally set for 163-pounds, but later raised to 165, and then 168 and earlier this week the contest was raised to 173-pounds when the Mexican star revealed that he was struggling to get down to 168.
Chavez said the one-year of inactivity, and the fact the Vera match is not a title fight, were two of the reasons as to why he didn't see the point of making the contract weight of 168.
'I believe that I am ready to fight, I am not interested in what anyone has said. We agreed on the weight and the most important thing is to win tomorrow. I am going to get stronger. I am a big fighter, although he is almost at my height. Weight is not going to make a difference in this fight, it is going to be my better boxing and training," Chavez said.
"I'm returning from a year of inactivity, that's why I agreed to fight at this weight. There was no reason to make 168-pounds. Working further to get down would have weakened me. I have really prepared myself for this fight. Vera likes to come forward and attack and that style suits me well. I'm going to show new things on Saturday. I have win this fight after one year out and a defeat, but I am young, I am 27 years old and I have a big future ahead."Tags: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr , Brian Vera , Chavez-Vera , Chavez vs. Vera