By Miguel Rivera
Promoter Fernando Beltran of Zanfer Promotions has revealed that a deal is close to match former world champions Juan Francisco Estrada and Edgar Sosa in Mexico City on March 11.
Sosa (52-10, 30 KOs) says there is nothing finalized, but acknowledged that a fight with Estrada is being negotiated and he would have no problem getting into the ring with his countryman.
"It is being negotiating. I am at this stage in my career, with the experience that I have, that I am no longer to picking and chasing opponents - but I stay in the gym to remain in shape, waiting for the date and I will reach enough time to arrive in good physical condition to do the fight," Sosa said.
Sosa has been out of the ring since September, when he lost a twelve round decision to Filipino great Donnie Nietes. Two fights prior he was blown away in two rounds by Roman "Chocolatito" Gonzalez, who was making his HBO debut.
He still believes that he can make a very competitive fight with Estrada, who last year vacated his WBO/WBA flyweight belts to move up to super flyweight.
"I am ready to offer a great fight, to think about victory. I am already experienced and I know how these fights are. He is also coming back from a long stint of inactivity. He is a great fighter, very technical, young with strength and you have to work hard to beat those kinds of fighters," Sosa said.
Sosa stated that he expects this to be a good year, because he still wants to fight more - "we have to talk to the promoter to give us the activity that we have lacked."
Last October, Estrada (34-2, 24 KOs) snapped a one year layoff due to a serious hand injury, when he came back to win a unanimous decision over Raymond Tabugon.