By Francisco Salazar
Looks like welterweight Josesito Lopez will return to the ring sometime in the first half of September, it was confirmed to Boxingscene.com on Monday.
Last week, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told Boxingscene.com’s Rick Reeno that Lopez could possibly return on a proposed September 6th card at the Stubhub (former Home Depot) Center in Carson.
However, two sources within Lopez’s team notified Boxingscene on Monday that Lopez will likely return to the ring on one of two possible dates the following week.
Golden Boy has expressed interest in promoting a Thursday and Friday card in Las Vegas leading up to the September 14th showdown between Floyd Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
“It would be a tune-up type of fight for Josesito,” said one of the two sources, who wished to remain anonymous.
Born and raised in Riverside, CA, Lopez will set up his training camp for his upcoming fight in Phoenix along with heavyweight contender Chris Arreola.
Lopez (30-6, 18 KOs) has had a grueling stretch of four bouts, facing the likes of Jessie Vargas, Josesito Lopez and Alvarez. In his last bout on June 8th, he was stopped in the sixth round at the hands of hard-hitting Marcos Maidana in Carson, CA.
Lopez is co-promoted by Goossen Tutor and Thompson Boxing Promotions. He is managed by Al Haymon.
Francisco A. Salazar has written for Boxingscene.com since September and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. He also covers boxing for the Ventura County (CA) Star newspaper. He could be reached by email at [email protected] or on twitter at FSalazarBoxing