Advertisement
Advertisement

John Murray Gets License Back, Ready To Thrill Again

By Terence Dooley

Manchester’s John Murray had cause for a double celebration this week.  The “Murray Machine” became a father and also learned that the BBBoC have cleared him to fight again, pending successful completion of a medical.  Murray had been forced to withdraw from a 2012 showdown with domestic lightweight rival Gavin Rees because of a swollen pituitary gland and worked as a road digger while waiting to find out if he would ever fight again.

Murray had been due to meet Rees last November only to see the Board’s stringent, and impeccable, safety procedures temporarily throw his future into disarray.  Now, though, the 28-year-old former English, British and European champion has been given the green light to resume his boxing career.

“Mike [Marsden, his manager] says I was given the all-clear to apply for my license yesterday,” said Murray when confirming the news to BoxingScene.  “I just need to get my medical done again — because it is a while since I’ve had them — and get back on it in the gym.  I’m happy, people won’t see me around again for a bit now because I’ll be in the gym getting ready to fight.  The baby [a little girl] is doing well, she sleeps most of the time!"

Murray’s last fight was a torrid 11th-round stoppage loss to Brandon Rios for the WBA 135lb title in December 2011.  Prior to this, Kevin Mitchell stopped him in the eight round of a brutal war.  The Mitchell defeat halted Murray’s 31-fight undefeated run, but he said that the rest has done him good and expects to come back stronger.

“There’s two losses on my record now, Mitchell and Rios, but there are a few more years in me yet, no matter what people say,” added Murray.

Please send news and views to [email protected] or Twitter @Terryboxing.

Tags: John Murray image  
User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by taansend on 05-11-2013

Best of luck to him. Not world level but he can be involved in some decent bouts at British, Commonwealth & Euro level.

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (1)
Top Headlines Czar Glazkov Still Recovering, Return is Possible in November Video: Golovkin's Coach on Terence Crawford, Kell Brook, More Leo Santa Cruz: If Dad Didn't Get Better, I May Have Pulled Out Lucas Browne Enters WBC's VADA Drug Testing Program Frankie Gavin vs. Sam Eggington Looms For October Clash Luke Campbell Focused, Aims To Do a Job on Argenis Mendez Otto Wallin Faces Osborne Machimana on September 10th Liam Walsh to meet Andrey Klimov in IBF final eliminator Leo Santa Cruz Fearful Frampton Won’t Come To Fight Saturday Loeffler on GGG-Brook: The Best at 147 Facing The Best at 160 Bradley Warns: Crawford Can Win, But Pacquiao is NO Postol HBO Sports Head: We Want To Match The Best Fights Possible Olympic Boxers, Now Without Headgear, Worry About Cuts Dimitrenko Confident of Beating Parker, Derailing Joshua Fight Marlon Tapales Shocks Pungluang Sor Singyu, Wins WBO Belt Paul Smith Set For September Return, Won't Be on Liverpool Bill Abel Sanchez: Manny Pacquiao Should Fight Keith Thurman Photos: Robert Guerrero, Alfredo Angulo, Gausha Presser Paulie Malignaggi’s Master Plan: This is Just Step One Loeffler: Golovkin Will Have 3 Fights Prior To Canelo Fight Alfredo Angulo Eyes Gold: I Want a World Title Shot in 2017! Video: Timothy Bradley Talks Pacquiao vs. Crawford, More Video: Loeffler Talks Golovkin vs. Brook HBO Tripleheader Robert Guerrero Aims For Rematch With Danny Garcia Leo Santa Cruz Says Having Dad in NYC Brought Him To Tears Photos: Joseph Diaz, Nick Arce, Roy Tapia Putting in Work Gamboa's Coach: One or Two More, Then Bring on Lomacheneko! Ruben Villa Inks Promotional With Banner and Thompson HBO Sports Head: Chocolatito Has Gotta Perform With Cuadras Tapales Struggles To Make Weight For Sor Singyu WBO Title Fight Photos: Carl Frampton, Leo Santa Cruz Face To Face in NYC WBC Prez on Crawford: One Voluntary, Then Mandatory Fight Jonathan Guzman Robbed of $70,000 Purse at The Airport Prince Naseem Backs Frampton To Get Job Done With Santa Cruz WBC Prez: Povetkin-Wilder Situation To Be Resolved Soon Noel Gevor vs. Mirko Larghetti on October 14 in Hamburg HBO Sports Hopeful of 3 Fights for Golovkin, Canelo in 2016 Andre Ward-Alexander Brand Full Undercard Announced Cuadras To Chocolatito: The Title is Coming Back To Mexico Jose Ramirez Targets World Title Shot, Returns on December 10
Advertisement

Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement