John Molina Confirms 6/7 ESPN Return: Eyes Burns, Abril
By Luis Sandoval
Hard hitting Lightweight John Molina Jr has informed BoxingScene that he will be making his return to the ring June 7th on ESPN’s Friday Night Fights. The opponent has not been completely finalized yet so he cannot disclose but they are close to selecting an opponent.
Molina’s goal is to get his second shot at a world title before the end of this year and after his fight in June, he’ll be more than ready for that opportunity.
Molina had previously informed BoxingScene of his interest in taking on reigning WBA Lightweight champion Richar Abril. While he won’t be able to get that fight next, he still has Abril as well as the other top Lightweight champions on his hit list.
“Richar Abril. Ricky Burns; the winner of Ricky Burns and [Jose A.] Gonzalez would be good fight. I am rated top four in the world in the WBO right now so that's a very good opportunity. If I have to fight in Scotland to fight Ricky Burns, I'll do it. Like I said, the goal right now is to get that world title and continue to win and win impressively” said Molina.
Molina also informed that he’s also willing to jump up to 140lbs and enter one of boxing’s deepest divisions if an opportunity would present itself. John is considered a big Lightweight and while he says he can still make 135 comfortably, he’s ready to make a move five pounds north for the right fight.
“Any opportunity available at 135 or 140 let's do it. If they're ready to get it on, I'm ready. And like I said, the game plan will be I'm coming for the knockout in every fight. If it’s at 140, then we are [ready] to walk into a big fight with anybody” Molina would tell BoxingScene.
John says he will first make sure he takes care of business again on ESPN as he did in January when he impressively knocked out Dannie Williams. And while some may think Molina’s window is closing due to getting older, he reminds everyone he’s a young guy in this game.
“Another thing I'd like to correct is everyone says 'oh father time is ticking against you' but you guys have to remember I didn't turn pro until I was 24 years old. I didn't start boxing until I was 18 years old. So it’s actually the opposite of what people are saying. Being the fact that I'm 30 years old, I'm barely coming into my stride. I haven’t taken the wear and tear most guys do when having 400 amateur fights and fighting since they were 8 years old” informed Molina.
Molina is already training for his June date as this will be the second camp in Oxnard, CA with Trainer of the Year Robert Garcia. Molina feels with the great work he’s getting up there, he’ll be ready to take on anyone at 135 or 140.
You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter @Truewest007. You can also tune in to BoxingScene Radio, Boxingscene’s official audio show every Tuesday from 6-8PM PST with hosts Ernest Gabion, Luis Sandoval, and Ryan Burton.
So good to hear Molina is fighting once again, this will be his second fight this year and that sure is gonna help him by staying active. He needs to have an overwelming knock out win to catch the publics…Post a Comment/View More User Comments (1)