By Miguel Rivera
Cristian Mijares (50-8-2, 25KOs) is still hunting for another world title. El Diamante says his promoter, Pepe Gomez of Cancun Boxing, has reached out to promoter Oswaldo Kuchle regarding the possibility of a fight with Jhonny Gonzalez (56-8, 47KOs), the featherweight champion of the World Boxing Council (WBC).
Mijares lost a twelve round decision to WBC super bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz in March, and then returned last month to stop Sebastian Rodriguez in seven rounds. Gonzalez has only fought once this year, a ten round technical decision over Clive Atwell in May.
If Gomez can reach a deal, he wants to place the fight on the September 13th undercard to the Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Marcos Maidana rematch, taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Another possible date for the fight is a slot on the undercard of Canelo Alvarez's fall return.
"My promoter Pepe Gomez will have talks with representatives of Jhonny to sign the fight for the undercard of Floyd Mayweather's rematch with Marcos Maidana, on September 13 in Las Vegas," said Mijares.
"I feel very strong in the featherweight division and it would be a great fight with Gonzalez. We are both on the same television network and we wouldn't have any problems to sign that fight."
Tags: Jhonny Gonzalez , Cristian Mijares